PDA

View Full Version : too much oil after mx

nosliw
12-31-2004, 01:46 PM
so im done with my last lap after riding 8 hours mx yesterday and for ****s and giggles, pull out my dipstick. when it came out, it was really thin and dripped off easily, and was also about 1/2-3/4 above the full line. i had just changed my oil a few night before and did it like i always do; like my clymers tells me to. funny thing is i didnt notice ANY smoke. not even a little bit. and if there were some i would have noticed it in the poorly lit pits between runs. a friend told me it was normal, and i should only worry if it was wet sump and it was that high above the full line. but i dont know if he knows what he's talking about or not.....

thanks

edit-

was running gn4

44oEX
12-31-2004, 02:39 PM
it's normal. it's just because when oil gets hot it expands. so when you check your oil after 5 min warm up like you seposed to do the oil is not all that hot so it's at the full mark but after 1/2hour of riding it's alot hotter so it takes more room so it's over the full mark.

What I do is run the oil at the 3/4 mark instead of the full mark so when it heats up it still good.

But even if it's over full don't worry about it. as long as you don't over flow the oil system still has room to spare.

nosliw
12-31-2004, 05:08 PM
good thanks