PDA

View Full Version : timing chain tesion screw

Ex'In_Alberta
12-31-2004, 01:16 PM
k so i need a quick fix for riding today, after my engine was put back togeather we found the tensioning cap screw was missing, so we have a 300ex out of commision with a wrecked cdi, will its cap screw fit.....

anyone know before i go steal it

kicken250x
12-31-2004, 01:58 PM
take that screw and go to the home depot or ace hardwear or somewhere with a selection of bolts and get another one the same thread pattern. ive had to do this with many bolts. when i do taht though i ALWAYS buy grade 8 bolts because you never know what grade honda is going to put anywhere. its best to go back to honda for the OE bolt but i guess this will work for now. good luck to you.

you probablu could have got a better answer if this question was posted in the correct section (tech section at the top of the menu page) but any answer is better than no answer

Ex'In_Alberta
12-31-2004, 02:13 PM
i posted here cause you get quicker answers here...i tried to match it up but couldnt, the cap screw has a little rubber oring on it too to seal it, its only a 2$ part but its a 4 day wait to get it ordered in

chucked
12-31-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by kicken250x
take that screw and go to the home depot or ace hardwear or somewhere with a selection of bolts and get another one the same thread pattern. ive had to do this with many bolts. when i do taht though i ALWAYS buy grade 8 bolts because you never know what grade honda is going to put anywhere. its best to go back to honda for the OE bolt but i guess this will work for now. good luck to you.

you probablu could have got a better answer if this question was posted in the correct section (tech section at the top of the menu page) but any answer is better than no answer

metric doesnt measure hardness like that, but the grade 8 metric is actually very weak, its a whole different measuring system.

kicken250x
12-31-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by chucked
metric doesnt measure hardness like that, but the grade 8 metric is actually very weak, its a whole different measuring system.

WELL SOMEONE LIED LIKE HELL TO ME! haha whoops...its a good thing i order the right bolt the next work day......

chucked
12-31-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by kicken250x
WELL SOMEONE LIED LIKE HELL TO ME! haha whoops...its a good thing i order the right bolt the next work day......

if you look on the head of the bolt it will say what grade it is, metric you measure by the little ticks, I think the grade is 2 more then the amt of ticks on it so 3 ticks is grade 5... Metric has it actually written on there, the normal bolts I get from Home Depot are usually 8.8 I believe, these are the cheapo's

Lamont400ex
01-10-2005, 06:58 PM
I am not sure stealing it would be the answer cause I have to fix the 300ex next so then i need more parts.:devil:

EPDP99
01-10-2005, 09:01 PM
i have been told the 10.9 is the way to go