PDA

View Full Version : timing chain help

Dannys400ex
12-31-2004, 11:00 AM
im putting the 440 back together, i have the piston in the cylinder and have the cylinder in place, but the timing chain is off the bottom sprocket, how do i get this back on to where it will stay long enough to get eveything back together, i am on the verge of setting the quad on fire and watching it burn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please any help will be fantastic

Rico
12-31-2004, 11:06 AM
how do you know its off the gear and not just kinked up???

You should be able to work it back on, there's not much room down there for it to go..

Dannys400ex
12-31-2004, 12:08 PM
its off the sprocket, i can move it around. this is my first rebuild so im a little short of all the secrets, but im sure ill get it sooner or later.

BSTURDIVANT
12-31-2004, 08:58 PM
You can get it back on by tilting so the chain will try to back under sprocket- just remember to drop the chain down some for slack. use the chain by hand to roll the engine and roll the chain back on. Be sure to tie up the chain with a piece of wire to keep tension on the chain so it doesn't come off again.
Secret is to roll the crank as you try to get it on.

Colby@C&DRacing
01-01-2005, 11:27 AM
Before you blow a gasket:) Take a few minutes remove the clutch cover, and see if you can get it back on from there, If not remove the clutch, clutch basket and the drive gears on the crank this will expose the cam chain gear and you can put it back on.:)

cals400ex
01-02-2005, 12:35 AM
make sure the slack isn't just from not having the timing chain tensioner in place.

Dannys400ex
01-02-2005, 12:51 AM
i got it back on.

thanks guys