PDA

View Full Version : carb for 416....??

hoser 400ex
12-31-2004, 07:43 AM
hey, im lookin at either puttin in just the 416 kit, or the powroll 416 stroker. my ? is about the carb. should i put in a aftermarket like a 39mm fcr. or just have mine bored out? i can get my carb bored for like 60 bucks. thanks for the help.

luke

markk
12-31-2004, 11:47 AM
I dont feel that where would be any need, IM running my 416 with my mods i have listed, Im running a 40 piolet jet, and a 170 main. My bike seems to run fine, But if u do go with a FCR carb, post back and tell me how its working for u!
And stay away from Edelbrock, I know where a grage is that has almost $1000's of Edelbrock carbs just sitting on the work bench, because they both had there own issues.

hoser 400ex
01-01-2005, 04:00 PM
any body else????

markk
01-02-2005, 02:28 AM
BUMP, anyone have any info?

ashley grimes
01-02-2005, 08:05 AM
I put a 41 mm fcr on my old 416 and it was like a different quads.Great trottle response

TC426EX
01-02-2005, 08:18 AM
If you have the money, go with the 39mm FCR on that bike... There is simply no better carb for a modded 400ex motor. I ran my built 426 with a stock carb with the choke removed for a while and it worked very well. After I got the FCR and had it adjusted right, there was a definite noticeable difference in power and throttle response, so I say its worth it if you got the money...

hoser 400ex
01-02-2005, 08:52 AM
ok thanks. just curious on about how much u got into ur tc engine. i've been talkin with tom a few times about building mine also....

TC426EX
01-02-2005, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by hoser 400ex
ok thanks. just curious on about how much u got into ur tc engine. i've been talkin with tom a few times about building mine also....

Whew, its alot man... It depends on if you want me to give you a quote of just what tom did to it, or everything that it has including the clutch and all that, which I installed. Tom did my boring/piston install, ported my head, lightened my flywheel, heli coiled my head studs and installed my TC cam + sent the rev box.

Later I found that the heli coils were failing with the compression, so I installed a set of ECATV heavy duty head studs, and also added the titanium valve springs and retainers when I replaced the rings the first time. If you get the TC cam you dont want to harden your rockers though because it is a drop in cam. I did the clutch myself and installed the whole hinson 8-plate kit with new basket, pressure plate, etc. Oh yeah and I added the FST external oil cooler to keep it cool and from fading. So like I said, let me know if you want a complete quote on what I got into this thing or if youre just curious what it costs to get the mods tom did for me...

Ill be sending my bottom end out to him in a few weeks here to get a stroker crank installed next.

H_W
01-02-2005, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by TC426EX
If you have the money, go with the 39mm FCR on that bike... There is simply no better carb for a modded 400ex motor.

I totally agree. I put the 39mm FCR on my 400 and it really woke it up. The difference it made was huge.