PDA

View Full Version : What method to start

tryken
12-31-2004, 07:23 AM
What does everyone do to start there 400ex? Especially when it is cold and they are harder to star. Rico said something about leaving the choke alone. How can you start it when it is cold without the choke? Not flaming just asking the question.

Blown 331
12-31-2004, 08:38 AM
Pump the gas a few times.

Rico
12-31-2004, 09:00 AM
I have no choke and to start mine in 20 degree weather, I'd do the following.

Pump the gas 4 times before hitting the starter.

Hit the starter.

Pump gas 3 more times.

hit the starter.

pump gas 3 more times.

hit the starter and usually it will run for a few seconds and die, even with me giving it a little gas.

4th and final 3 pumps of the gas

Hit the starter and it will start up and run, with a slight push on the throttle, which I do for about 30 seconds or so. It will then sit and purr like a kitten.

Seems like lots of work but I can usually get it started within 2 minutes no matter how cold it is or how long it sat. I also have a 42 pilot jet. <----Which is a must when you remove the choke. Not bad to have with the choke in either.

I did the above after my winter rebuild which consisted of the entire top end off and it started up just fine.

All my choke ever did was send me to the store for new plugs because i always fouled them using it.

sportraxkid
12-31-2004, 12:27 PM
I have a 42 pilot jet and it starts easier without the choke. I do the same thing rico does.

tryken
12-31-2004, 01:33 PM
Do you turn off the gas when you are done riding. I have found that it helps tremendously when it is cold. But that is when the motor was stock. I picked it up two nights ago with the 416. I am running a 165 main, not sure on the pilot jet.

nosliw
12-31-2004, 01:52 PM
i have a 42pilot jet too. what i do is put the choke on halfway, get it started, then turn it off and give it enough gas to keep it alive

ZQ8Dude
01-01-2005, 12:29 AM
mines stock, pull the choke and start it up, revv it off and on for a minute and put t in the middle position....proceed to look down while my friend laughs and starts his predator with a quick tap of the start button:(

400exrider36
01-02-2005, 06:45 PM
i never need to use the choke in the summer, but during the winter i put the choke on and hit the starter and if it dont start within a few secs, which it usually never does unless really cold, i just start pumping the gas no more than half throttle and it works every time for me, then just turn the choke off right after it starts and have it idle to warm up

smith_400ex_213
01-02-2005, 09:46 PM
i dont have a choke so sometimes i can be difficult...wut i do i pump the throttel a few time push the starter button...adn then keep pumpin the throttel and holdin the started button...slowly so i dont flood it....then after it back fires a couple of time i hold the starter button and pump the gas faster adn faster until it starts...always works...unless my battery isnt charged all the way...

6arett
01-05-2005, 11:12 PM
i Just hold the gas about a quarter way down, iit takes a few cranks but it fires right up

Old Head
01-08-2005, 02:40 AM
I use my choke. Put it all the way on start it up if it sounds like its going to stall i drop choke to half. tap the throttle so she runs smooth wait like 30 seconds the turn choke off. let it idle till warm. I don't use any throttle to start only after running. And i turn my gas off after riding.

r_stilz
01-08-2005, 05:37 PM
stock, 2001
choke on
pump throttle 2 times
start
give a little throttle
choke 1/2 till the engine smoothes out
choke off
let it warm up

RIDER136
01-11-2005, 06:54 PM
the first thing that i do before i fire up my machine is to turn the quad on and turn the run swicth to off and turn the quad over a couple of times to get the oil pumped up into the motor to prevent dry start up then i put the choke on pumped the gas 3-4 times then start it once it starts hold it above idle then turn the choke off ride around easy until the engine has some temp to it then the fun begins.i will only start it this way if the temps is below 20 degrese or so. hpoe this helps

TRXRacer1
01-12-2005, 12:54 PM
Choke works for me. I put it on full, give it no gas and hit the starter. Works everytime.

schootar
01-12-2005, 03:30 PM
I just took my choke out and put in a 42 pilot jet. I do pretty much the same thing Rico does and it starts just fine.

All my choke ever did was send me to the store for new plugs because i always fouled them using it.

I hear you on that one, Rico. Removing the choke and changing the pilot jet is the best thing I've done to the EX in a while, thanks to the tech articles on this site.:)

cf400ex
08-12-2005, 06:34 PM
when i start mine up i have on full choke and give it half throtle after about 10 seconds of that i turn down the choke to half way and give it 3/4 throttle for 20 seconds then turn choke off and let go of gas and its ready to go