PDA

View Full Version : Ram Air for 400ex

BlueRider
12-30-2004, 06:59 PM
I currently have my EX down to the frame and am doing some mods. One thing I think would be cool is to take out the stock headlights and instal an air intake and plumb it straight to the box, in effect ram air. Suzuki did this to their Hyabusa streetbike and it gained 15hp at top speed in 5th. I realise that that is at close to 200mph but..... it may add a bit. Anybody seen this done before?

K_Fulk
12-30-2004, 08:53 PM
How would you do it with the air box being in the back of the quad? :confused: The air would have to travel twice as far as it does now. The only way it would work half decent would be if you turned the motor around so the intake was in the front. But that would be a lot of work to do it on something that would only make like 1 more hp.

You could do it with a cannondale there airbox is in the hump on the nose.

jaspurx
12-30-2004, 09:18 PM
I have ram air on mine. Check out the parts in your local auto parts store.

Juat have to be a little creative is all.

smith_400ex_213
12-30-2004, 09:46 PM
post some pics

jaspurx
12-30-2004, 11:16 PM
I wish I could post pics. But as a note , put an outerwear on the end of your ram-air. Air box gets a lot of junk if you do not.

rollie
12-31-2004, 07:19 AM
250R's had ram air didnt them?:cool:

nacs400ex
12-31-2004, 07:25 AM
No, the R's had a "shark induction" on the front underneath the hood. Im not 100% sure if they had it on later models. I know my 86 does.

Personally I dont think setting up ram air on a 400ex is worth it. If it was a worthy gain, you would see a lot more people doing it. You could get more air if you just run without an airbox lid.

I would however wonder how well a ramair setup would work on a cannondale.

jaspurx
12-31-2004, 08:32 AM
I live by the east coast , so there is no way to get away riding without an airbox lid , even with the outerwears cover , there is just too much mud and water.

Meanwhile , the intake end of my ram-air is three times the size of the factory intake hole , you can do that math.

Any way to get more air flowing into the air box than stock , is an upgrade.

I want a turbo system someday!

jaspurx
12-31-2004, 09:07 AM
Also , I would not use those gaskets. Smaller oil holes are never a good thing , and the larger dia. bore would cause a diference in compression , perhaps even a leak.

Budget problems I understand all too well, but I would not use it. Contact the suplier you got it from , emphasize the bore size being wrong , and especially the oil holes being the wrong size , complaining may help.

I would go with a xr400 head gasket , slightly higher compression , with no ill effects.

With the ram air , go with automotive air intake components. That would be your best budget route.

BlueRider
12-31-2004, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the info. Had a good night last night. Polished some parts and mounted new levers and perch greesed swingarm and redid steering stem grommet. I am thinking cut fenders now. It's down time here at -20 way too cold to ride!

jaspurx
12-31-2004, 11:38 PM
And I thought I was hard core riding at zero last weekend , or the weekend before , but eeegads thats a bit cold for me.

No dis-respect , but I`d let the natives have that land back , do like the birds , and head south after hunting season.

Even Eskimo`s would not want to tap out high gear in that.

Awww c`mon , just funnin` a bit.
But seriously , that`s cold.

It would seem that since this is the beginning of winter , you will have much time for such work , and research.

speedy400
01-01-2005, 02:12 AM
I highly doubt it'd help worth while of making the setup while you can get the same performance increase and same/less money by just getting a UNI filter.. or saving for some other mod, plus it'd be tricky to find a route from your airbox to your front end. Theres almost no way to stay under the plastic on a 400ex. And given the speed of the airflow, vs. the avg. speed your going when you ride. I just dont think it'd help that much, IMO.-darren

PS. removing the airbox snorkle might act as a small ram air effect, then again some of the air your ramming in is hot air that was heated from the cooling fins on the engine.

:ermm:

BlueRider
01-01-2005, 02:17 AM
Aw it's not that bad not sure what that is in US damn cold either way, . Going Ice racing in a car in a few weeks should be good. That's why I'm doin the work now. I bought it last feb, off an ethnic fellow you previously mentioned , great guy however poorly maintained and after I beat it all summer I figured it deserved some TLC. and what a great forum to get info, sincerly just getting some replies to my hairbrain ideas means alot! I got a couple of friends 400ex and raptor who give me a hand it's fun. bin ridin for close to 20 yrs still going any ways happy new year to all and thanks for the help jaspurx!

jaspurx
01-01-2005, 08:10 AM
The stock opening is near the rear of the fuel tank , basically directly over the enging , plenty of hot air there too.
And the opening in stock form is so small , you can not put 2 fingers in it at once.

There was a pro calibre race team that built a v-force with ram air a while back , can`t remember which magazine though.

It is not so much trying to ram the air , but getting fresh air , in volume versus stock.

Anyway , I was just glad to try to help blue.

Rico
01-01-2005, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by jaspurx

There was a pro calibre race team that built a v-force with ram air a while back , can`t remember which magazine though.

Jackie Meadows Quad is the one your talking about.

jaspurx
01-01-2005, 06:54 PM
For his awesome memory he gets a free roost on anybody that did not believe it.( thanks man)

Also , I had proof that it yielded gains , I had to re-jet all the circuits in my carb , they ran lean after the install.

Or maybe it was because Jules Verne and I were running a few thousand feet below sea level after the install

:grr:

Whichever is easiest for some to believe at this point!

Now it is time to put the BOOST inside!

K_Fulk
01-01-2005, 06:58 PM
The ram air would work well on the vforce with the location of its carb it is a direct shot into the airbox.

You also need to up the jets on a 400ex if you just take the lid off.

Chef
01-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Ram air through the headlights wouldnt even work...it would have to have so many bends and curves to get past the fuel tank, etc, that it wouldnt help.

phatswinn
01-03-2005, 08:17 AM
we had a conversation about this wwaaayyy back in the day...like 3 years ago, it was established that you need to go over 90mph to accumulate enough air force to actually achieve "ram air", other wise its just a air tube in a much more vonurable spot where dirt and water can enter much more easily

BlueRider
01-06-2005, 03:54 PM
Thanks for all the input. I am not going to do it althoufg it would be cool. I am wondering if an aftermarket hood would fit with the stock plastic? I read the other post on this I might go with that.

jaspurx
01-07-2005, 04:28 PM
But I know it works , I got it. You just need to keep the bends smooth and flowing , and an outerwear to keep incoming air clean.

Then when you get the boost inside , hang on! Stage #2 is 2 weeks away.

Nitroun next summer!