PDA

View Full Version : C&D shock revalve -- Full Report

jeepnrocks
12-30-2004, 05:56 PM
Well guys I got to finally test out the c&d shock revalve today.
First the setup.
The shocks are set up for B class XC type riding.
The valving is set for a 180 - 200 poiund rider.
I got the shocks set up for lighter than I am because I am planning on being down to about 195 with full gear in a few monthes
Right now I am about 225 with full gear, so the shocks aren't set up for my specific weight at the moment.
Today was a test day to see where the shocks need to be. I have the fronts dialed in to where I want them and the rear needs to have a fair ammount of pre load added. I didnt measure but I would wager that I have close to 1.5 inches difference in front and rear height.
First the bad.
I still had some bucking in the rear through some whoops at the local ash dumps. I stopped and adjusted the rebound and compression and it got alot better. It was still alot better than stock through all but the biggest whoops. I feel that once I adjust the pre-load (and drop a few pounds that the rear will be very very good)) This could also be because it was set up for xc riding and not mx style whoops. I'm not a shock tuner so I dont know what differences there are between an xc and mx setup (mx- alot stiffer ?)
Now the good ..
I completely love this setup on the trails. The handling is so much better now. I was ripping through the trails faster than I ever have today. The tippiness that was very apparent before is all but gone also. I also hit a few trees and ruts today that I braced for but felt nearly nothing. The front triple rates just ate the obstacles up. My back also performed alot better than stock on the fast woodsy trails. Most of the trails I ride are very close to what you would find in an xc race. They are actually alot harder than some of the local xc stuff I have seenl. The trails have alot of branches and rocks strewn about with some decent ruts just for good measure. I was able to really crank on it alot harder than before with this setup. The quad just stayed planted and ate up everything I threw at it. There was quite a few places where I expected the rear to kick up but it didnt. Why this was different than whoops I dont know but it was definitely a ton better.THere is one corner in particular that is lower on the outside of the turn. ( think reverse bank)
On previous occasions I could feel myself needing to let off and the quad felt at its limits. Today I was blasting through this with way more confidence and alot faster as well. I also did quite a bit of jumping today and these shocks far outperformed the stocksetup in that arena as well.
Overall I had more fun riding today on my regular trails than i ever had before. I rode faster and with more confidence and that tellsl me these guys did their job.I give c&d an A+ for this setup. Once I dial my rear in better and lose a few pounds this setup will be all i ever need until I decide to go long travel.
Great job C&D and thanks !
Mike

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/jeepnrocks/450r/a1.jpg

Colby@C&DRacing
12-30-2004, 11:11 PM
The kicking in the rear shock on the whoops is coming from the rear shock sitting to low. If you have it sitting 1.5 inchs lower than the front it is transfering to much weight to the rear and causing it to bottom out and kick. try adjusting your ride height up in the back and see if that helps.

Thanks for the good review:D Glad you like them.

twisted threads
12-30-2004, 11:56 PM
GREAT REVIEW!!!:macho

jeepnrocks
12-31-2004, 04:51 AM
thats what i figured colby. I just took a best guess on preload when i installed it.
I was going to take a wrench out on the trail with me but I was so wound up to get a nice day for riding in late december that I completely forgot
:)
once again, great job.
p.s. I'm doing that je 13:1 on monday so I'll probably be out again real soon with the rear end dialed in

Jersey450R
12-31-2004, 06:00 AM
Very nice review JEEP, you always have very nice informative posts. In that pic (i dont know if its me or not), it looks to be your front end is lower than your rear. If it is, try adjusting it so where that plate thing near that front of the frame is 1/2 inch higher than in the rear right behind the footpeg. do this of course with all gear on sitting on the quad so the front end is 1/4 - 3/4 of an inch higher. Just my opinion, maybe you like something differrent. Good luck and what a nice bike!

kazpr
12-31-2004, 06:15 AM
Nice review there buddy. Sounds really nice.

450 Racer R
12-31-2004, 09:50 AM
if the ride height is set up right, the front should look lower than the rear or be about even. when you sit on the quad, your weight is over the rear shock. the rear shock will compress and the height in the rear will be lower than when your not on it. His post said the rear is about 1.5 inches lower than the front.

jeepnrocks
12-31-2004, 01:19 PM
thanks guys, the front looking lower is just the angle of the pic. the back sits unproportionally low now that i look at it. I'll let you know once i get her dialed in.
i'll dial the shocks in better after we install my piston monday :)

TheFontMaster
12-31-2004, 01:32 PM
Great review, And the skeleton grafics are awsome.:cool:

jeepnrocks
01-18-2005, 12:10 PM
thanks on the graphx... they are called boner haha