PDA

View Full Version : 250 Recon starting issue

wicrules
12-30-2004, 08:02 AM
I have a 2004 Recon, Manual shift that will not start. Here is the scenario-

Rode about 5 hours on a Saturday in the rain. Trailored it home and parked it in a metal storage building. Next weekend, go to ride it. Won't crank without choke. Choked it and it ran for about 10 seconds. Continued trying to crank it and it won't run at all. Let it sit for about 2 more weeks, tried to crank it. Same thing- run briefly with choke, but nothing more.

The unit has never been submerged. In fact, the highest water has ever gotten on it is the foot-pegs. It has very low hours on it, but of course its out of the pittiful warranty period.

I'm thinking its the carb because of the way it will run briefly and then die. Its kind of confusing though because the air filter is very clean ( no dusty riding conditions ). The only thing I can figure it maybe some debris in the fuel that made its way to the carb.

Any ideas?

muddy400EX
12-30-2004, 01:23 PM
is there gas in it?:confused: this is the 250r section by the way:D

kyex40047
12-30-2004, 08:20 PM
When you used the choke you flooded it. You have a fouled spark plug, Put a new one in. Don't use the choke when you start it. Give it alittle gas when you start it.

mojoe2878
12-31-2004, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by kyex40047
When you used the choke you flooded it. You have a fouled spark plug, Put a new one in. Don't use the choke when you start it. Give it alittle gas when you start it.
yup, i would definently change the plug, i have a grizzly that wont start for chit when the plug gets a little fouled out on it from using the choke.