PDA

View Full Version : Help a Brake Rookie - '87 250x

Briandbaker
12-30-2004, 06:59 AM
Can anybody help me with a brake problem?

After a couple of months of no riding, the front brakes developed a problem. The brakes seem to have no compression (they BARELY squeeze the rotors). I tried bleeding them, but I am unsure if I am even doing that right. When I loosen the bleed valve, it jsut seems to leak/trickle brake fluid when I pump the brake lever.

Can someone tell me the proper procedure to bleed the front brakes, or let me know if I could have more of a problem (like a bad master cylinder)?

Where should I start to diagnpse my problem?

thx

ckasper18
12-30-2004, 07:06 AM
After a long period of time you need to change your brake fluid.You also may need to change the piston kit in the master cyclinder on the handle bars after a while your brake fluid gets all cruddy and it probably has never been changed.There are also some seals in the brake caliper that need to be changed they also get rotted and cracked after sitting without use.What you need to do is ride that quad more than you do.Hope this helps

Briandbaker
12-30-2004, 07:31 AM
I am TRYING to ride more often...that is why I am trying to get the brake prob fixed :)

It seems that a bad seal somewhere would cause a leak...and the system does not leak anywhere (I don't think!).

If you have a bad piston in the master cylinder, what would that cause (symptoms)?

Jonesy
12-30-2004, 09:46 AM
To properly bleed the brakes, take off the master cyclinder cover so you can add fluid. squeeze the lever 4-5 times and hold it in. then have someone open up the valve for about a second then tighten it back up. then repeat the procedure over and over till you have a good feel. keep a close watch on the fluid level so it doesn't suck any air.

hope this helps

Jonesy

Briandbaker
12-30-2004, 09:56 AM
That is how I have been bleeding the system...but it seems as if the pumping on the lever does nothing. There really is no resistance on the lever...seems as if I am doing nothing while pumping the brake lever.
Will the pressure build in the system as I pump? or does the fact that the brakes are not engaging indicate that I have another problem?
The pads look like they have good thickness, but how do I know for sure?
Doesn't seem to be any leaks.

thx

ckasper18
12-31-2004, 07:19 AM
Replace the piston kit in the master cyclinder like i said on the first post and you will be riding with brakes.I am 100% sure thats your problem the part number you need is 45530-KJ1-701 cost is $30.00 take the master cyclinder off brake line on master cyclinder brake lever and where the brake lever pushes in the plunger there is a snap ring take that off and it should come a part and replace everything in the new kit and put back together and then start bleeding the brakes and you will be set...Chris

ckasper18
12-31-2004, 07:28 AM
Oh ya or you could go purchase a new master cyclinder off the tra450r or the trx400ex and you will spend 2005 400ex complete master cyclinder is $63.00 PART NUMBER IS 45510-HN1-006 but you will need to use your stock front brake lever.All you will need to do is bolt thr brake line on pour in the brake fluid and start bleeding.Those are your two options of fixing your quad.............Chris

Briandbaker
12-31-2004, 09:42 PM
thx!