PDA

View Full Version : How hard to put in cam?

Derag2
12-29-2004, 09:51 PM
I'm thinking about do some upgrades to my 4 wheeler like a HMF slip on pipe, Uni air filter and like a Hot cams stage one....

But i don't know how tough they are and if i could put on in with just normal tools. So could any of your guys give me a run down on what to do for it?

Thanks guys
03' 400EX

mojoe2878
12-29-2004, 10:01 PM
its real easy and you dont need any special tools except a torque wrench and some feeler gauges.all you need to do is remove the cam chain tensioner, remove the head cover,unbolt the sprocket from the cam, remove old cam, install new cam and bolt it to the sprocket, put the tensioner back in , put the cover back on and adjust the valves. be sure to put the piston at TDC on compression stroke before disassembling and for timing purposes and when you put the new cam in put it in with the lobes facing down and remove the small plunger and sring from the head because the hot cams do not use this plunger.
the best thing to do is to get a manual, but the work is an easier ordeal and only takes a few hours.

Derag2
12-29-2004, 10:09 PM
Would a slip on pipe still be okay? with just a cam and air filter? I really don't have the money for a full system.

mojoe2878
12-29-2004, 10:18 PM
if you arent running a big bore then the slip on should be fine, you would notice a difference with the full exhaust though but you can always add a header later on down the road.

Rico
12-30-2004, 07:47 AM
I think it's harder to get all the stuff out of the way to get to the motor than the cam install itself...:scary:

TC426EX
12-30-2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Rico
I think it's harder to get all the stuff out of the way to get to the motor than the cam install itself...:scary:

Hell yeah...

drgn_erth
12-30-2004, 09:51 AM
i just recently rebuilt and put a hot cams stage 1 in my quadthe cam is easy to install just take your time just make sure lube the cam up before installing and before you start it turn the motor over with a wrench to make sure nothing hits

maskale
12-30-2004, 06:51 PM
I tore down my top end last weekend for the first time, and it was not as hard as I expected. Money may be tight but for your first time I would recomend buying the manual from the dealership, Yes it is alot to pay just for a book, but that $35.00 I spent really helped me out, it just lets you know what you are getting into and gives you some tips. You will most likely need it down the road anyway.

RIDER136
01-01-2005, 06:40 PM
i did mine and it was easy just be carefull not to let the timing chain drop have a buddy help u it will make things go alot smoother also examine the timing chain cause now would be a good time to repalce it if needs be

397ccEX
01-02-2005, 10:35 AM
where to get hot cam
Is stage 2 alot better than stage one
What are the prices

RIDER136
01-02-2005, 06:19 PM
u can get the hot cams from magic racing the stage 1 cam is an all around cam but seems to have some ticking noise due to the lobe not really a big deal the stage 2 can gives you more high rpm power but you lose some of your low end so if u go with a high compression piston that will take care of the low end hope this helps

Derag2
01-02-2005, 09:31 PM
You can get the cams for 100 bucks off ebay or 140 or somthing like that from Rockymountain.

How loud is this ticking noise? and it doesn't hurt anything right?

mojoe2878
01-03-2005, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by Derag2
You can get the cams for 100 bucks off ebay or 140 or somthing like that from Rockymountain.

How loud is this ticking noise? and it doesn't hurt anything right?
the ticking isnt that loud, it just sounds kinda like the valves are misadjusted or something even when they arent, its just due to the cam profile. and no it doesnt hurt anything, the cam is just louder than others.

drgn_erth
01-06-2005, 11:01 AM
Yeah the ticking isn't that bad (i think it sounds kinda cool).
Check out www.sweetquads.com both cams are $119.99 each.

Rico
01-06-2005, 12:53 PM
Just go all out and get an HRC cam were you loose nothing only gain from bottom to top.....:cool: