PDA

View Full Version : +3" Steering Stem

kjettro
12-29-2004, 05:15 PM
Who makes them, and where can i get one.
thanks

dirtriderex
12-29-2004, 07:26 PM
Why do you want such a long steering stem??

JDiablo
12-29-2004, 07:30 PM
maybe because he is tall,and contact burgard or better yet even pappy on the site tell him you need a custom made burgard +3 stem

brandonpeake
12-29-2004, 07:30 PM
ive never seen a
+3 would prob be a custom setup, and like above why do u need a +3 stem

Kilabanshee
12-29-2004, 07:36 PM
I'm 6,3 with a +2 gibson stem. I really wouldnot see why you would need any larger then that.

tamehart
12-29-2004, 08:19 PM
I don't think it would be something hard for Burgard to do and I am sure he would do it. But you might be a little more prone to bending if you going with something that long. Just my thought.

TBD
12-29-2004, 11:19 PM
Why don't you try a different bend of bars.

sammy5x
12-30-2004, 06:53 PM
Alot of peoplr like to set their machines up so that they are comfortable sitting down or going in a straight line. If that is all you do then go for it but lets face it, most of us like to rip so my suggestion is to set your machine up for the turns. The reason is simple. Have you ever heard the saying-- "Races are won in the turns, not the straights"? If you set the controls too high, in the turns you lose all ability to properly control the machine. Your arms-no matter how tall you are- will constantly be pulling you to the out side of the turn. Don't believe me, try it. Sit on your machine(not running) and simulate taking a turn. Then pretend to raise your hands to simulate a taller stem height. Notice how your torso was pulled to the outside of the turn! Look man, everyone want to be comfortable but you have to find your own personal balance of mobility and comfort. No matter how wierd you may have to setup your machine to get it good for the turns, you(anyone) will adjust in no time at all. PM me if you need more detailed setup instructions. Just trying to help bro-

eastside 400
12-30-2004, 07:52 PM
herrmannracing.com (http://www.herrmannracing.com) they have them, high quality, any pc color u want basically, available with 7/8 or 1 1/8 clamp or no clamp. check them out!!

Johnson
12-30-2004, 08:29 PM
I had my YFZ setup with a plus 2 3/4'' steering stem with tag cr high bend bars and I loved it. I had alot more control over the fourwheeler. I think that you need to set it up to what feels the best to you.

kjettro
12-31-2004, 04:22 AM
Thanks for all the input, i'm 100 % agree with you sammy5x, but i need to do what's comfortable for me at the race track.
comming from motocross, i need some of the same riding position as riding my mx bike, cause i ride the same tracks as i do with my mx bike.
actually i stand up riding around almost every corner exept the really tight ones, and that seems to work for me, i can quickly shift my weight transfer from one side to the other side without loosing any speed, i sit down in the really tight turns, and maybe loose a little speed there cause the bars are too high, but in the whoops and over the jumps and difficult stuff i have a big advantage when standing straight and just pin the throttle and have total control.
The trx now feels more like a mx quad/bike then the feeling of recreation vehicle that is has when stock.

lonestar swing arm+1"
lonestar axalibur +3 axle
elka elite racing high/low fronts
elka elite racing rebound/high/low rear shock
elka link
pro circuit full system
power now intake system
twinair airfilter mods
acracing nerfs
quadtech carbon hood
homemade barriser/protaper pastrana bar
crf levers
motionpro twist throttle kit
kenda dominator tires

Hammer trx450r
12-31-2004, 05:24 AM
what happened to the custom risers?

Jersey450R
12-31-2004, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by Hammer trx450r
what happened to the custom risers?
yea i was wondering the same thing.

kjettro
12-31-2004, 06:16 AM
The risers are fine, but i bent the steering stem where the tie rod ball joints are bolted to the stem after a huge crash,

No doubt, a aftermarked stem is more durable than stock...

May go for a lonestar +3 stem...

hapychap
01-12-2005, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by sammy5x
Alot of peoplr like to set their machines up so that they are comfortable sitting down or going in a straight line. If that is all you do then go for it but lets face it, most of us like to rip so my suggestion is to set your machine up for the turns. The reason is simple. Have you ever heard the saying-- "Races are won in the turns, not the straights"? If you set the controls too high, in the turns you lose all ability to properly control the machine. Your arms-no matter how tall you are- will constantly be pulling you to the out side of the turn. Don't believe me, try it. Sit on your machine(not running) and simulate taking a turn. Then pretend to raise your hands to simulate a taller stem height. Notice how your torso was pulled to the outside of the turn! Look man, everyone want to be comfortable but you have to find your own personal balance of mobility and comfort. No matter how wierd you may have to setup your machine to get it good for the turns, you(anyone) will adjust in no time at all. PM me if you need more detailed setup instructions. Just trying to help bro-

:) Gday mate!!!

Right on for everything you say, but let me ask you to simulate the following conditions. We mostly ride a track which is 46 miles long, it is all desert, all sand and plenty dunes. You try ride the course as fast as you can or the bike will take you after a wind blow when the track turns into 46 miles of basicly whoops and your theory goes right out the window. In the dunes when you have the throttle pinned and you have 15 - 40 foot dunes when you surf the side because you can't see whats on the other side of the dune then you quickly realise how much of a difference an inch can make on your back. I am 6 foot 4 and carry a little extra weight. I take sore arms over a sore back any day!! :D

sammy5x
01-12-2005, 01:27 PM
Good point about the milage. My theory does not go out the window as I been racing at Southwick MX338 since the age of 14(1988) and have learned a little about whoops. Like I said, it comes down to personal preferance.

hapychap
01-14-2005, 11:42 PM
Your'e right, it comes down to personal preference.

Anyway, checked your theory out over the weekend (we have different weekends in these parts Thur/Fri) and I can see where you are coming from, but I guess my arms are a little longer like the rest of my body so the extra height in the stem is balanced, but I can see where your statement holds it's merrit on shorter/smaller riders, my wife and most of our biking friends are all verticaly challenged and there is no way they could handle the extra hight.

But thanks for your polite response and sensable advice, it is highly appreciated and welcomed. :)

sammy5x
01-15-2005, 06:38 PM
Rock on---

yzquadracer
01-23-2005, 09:29 PM
I'm 6'7, I rode the last 2 years with a standard length stem, going to a +2 and +1 forward this year so hopefully ill be a little more comfy.

01-23-2005, 09:50 PM
Man just giver on the +3 my buddy has one on his and it feels sweet.

hapychap
01-23-2005, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by yzquadracer
I'm 6'7, I rode the last 2 years with a standard length stem, going to a +2 and +1 forward this year so hopefully ill be a little more comfy. [FONT=arial][FONT=arial][FONT=arial]

:eek2: We do long distance trail riding here and if you are 6"7 then I would suggest going for the +3"+1". My +2"+1" is to short for me and I am only 6"4.

My dollor's worth. ;)

PEPwalshZ440
01-24-2005, 06:28 AM
im runnin stock stem with CR low bend and im 6'1" :confused:

hapychap
01-24-2005, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by PEPwalshZ440
im runnin stock stem with CR low bend and im 6'1" :confused:

:cool: Got to get that changed mate!! ;)

How are the CR bend bars like? I have been advised to go get the +3'+1 with the CR high bend bars?

Would you classify the CR bars as the same thickness or build as Pro-Taper bars? :ermm:

Need to know what clamp size to ask for when I order the longer stem. :confused:

Martin Blair
01-24-2005, 10:24 PM
I would go with +2 and try the rox risers that bring it up another 13/4 or 2in I dont remember exact number.

speedfreaksguy
01-25-2005, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by hapychap
:

How are the CR bend bars like? I have been advised to go get the +3'+1 with the CR high bend bars?

Would you classify the CR bars as the same thickness or build as Pro-Taper bars? :ermm:

Need to know what clamp size to ask for when I order the longer stem. :confused:

CR high bend is just the bend of the bar. You can buy Tag or Renthal or Pro Taper with a CR high bend. They also make a CR double high. You can also buy them in 7/8" or 1 1/8" diameter.

ThumPIN_450R
01-25-2005, 09:56 AM
I'm 5'4" and I use a stock height stem with CR high bars works perfect for me. I really don't get this tall bar and stem garbage:macho

01-25-2005, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by ThumPIN_450R
I'm 5'4" and I use a stock height stem with CR high bars works perfect for me. I really don't get this tall bar and stem garbage:macho

i'm with you, THUMPIN. These are high performance ATV's, not old-school choppers!! I prefer my bars to be as low as possible. That way, i can be leaning forward in a stream-lined, racey position.

hapychap
01-25-2005, 10:23 PM

Can I get you a stool to climb onto your bike ...... ;)

You would have to be tall to understand!!!!! :huh

hapychap
01-25-2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by speedfreaksguy
CR high bend is just the bend of the bar. You can buy Tag or Renthal or Pro Taper with a CR high bend. They also make a CR double high. You can also buy them in 7/8" or 1 1/8" diameter.

Excuse my ignorance, but who is the 'they' you refer to? I am 2 continents away so your "experiance' would be appreciated. :confused:

Txs.

hapychap
01-25-2005, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by speedfreaksguy

:ermm: Under what size would a Pro-taper bar be classified? 7/8" or 1 1/8" :(

ThumPIN_450R
01-25-2005, 10:48 PM
Can I get you a stool to climb onto your bike ...... ;)

You would have to be tall to understand!!!!! :huh

I got my derisi rear end to lower my bike to help with getting on but some times i use a stool to put oil in my truck when filling it up after changing it:eek2: :D

hapychap
01-25-2005, 11:05 PM
I got my derisi rear end to lower my bike to help with getting on but some times i use a stool to put oil in my truck when filling it up after changing it:eek2: :D

Even the verticaly challenged are welcome to the sport ....... hehehe
;) You 'guys' make up most of the toughest competition

:D 10 points for using good intiative!!!!!!!

;) 10 more points for a good sense of humor!!!!

:D 100 points for riding the best bike under the sun!!!

02 Red Rider
01-26-2005, 12:18 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but who is the 'they' you refer to? I am 2 continents away so your "experiance' would be appreciated. :confused:

Txs.

Pro Taper is just the Brand Name (Manufacturer) of the Bars. I can only assume that you want the "Fat Bar" 1 1/8" tubing diameter.

Manufacturers of these bars include:
Tag Metals
Pro Taper
Renthal
Universal (Solex)
Trail Tech
Magura (In Your Neck of the Woods)

CR High Bend refers to the height and the sweep of the Bars.

For Instance Tag Metals Bars Measure this way:
H=Height W=Width PB=Pullback

CR Low - H3.43" W31.69" PB2.28"
CR High - H3.74" W31.30" PB2.44"
CR Double High - H4.53" W31.69" PB2.44"

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can make anything clearer or provide anymore info.

hapychap
01-26-2005, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by 02 Red Rider
Pro Taper is just the Brand Name (Manufacturer) of the Bars. I can only assume that you want the "Fat Bar" 1 1/8" tubing diameter.

Manufacturers of these bars include:
Tag Metals
Pro Taper
Renthal
Universal (Solex)
Trail Tech
Magura (In Your Neck of the Woods)

CR High Bend refers to the height and the sweep of the Bars.

For Instance Tag Metals Bars Measure this way:
H=Height W=Width PB=Pullback

CR Low - H3.43" W31.69" PB2.28"
CR High - H3.74" W31.30" PB2.44"
CR Double High - H4.53" W31.69" PB2.44"

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can make anything clearer or provide anymore info.

It is just that I had a Trailtech highbend fat/pro taper bar with their high rise bracket. However after an accident I replaced the steering stem with a Lonestar +2"+1" and asked for the pro taper bar brackets.

On Arrival of the stem, the trailtech bar would not fit into the lonestar mounts. First the bar diameter was slightly thicker so the bracket would not seat on the bar properly and secondly the bracket width was longer than the flat mounting portion of the bar so that the clamp would be clamping down on the up sweep of the bars. Which resulted in me having to swop bars with a friend who had a standard bend trailtech fatbar and I subsequintly lost the hight I was originaly banking on and the motivating reason for me ordering a +2" instead of +3" lonestar steering stem in the first place and I am certain with the the high bend bars I would have the hight I desperately need right now.

I am now having to order another steering stem (+3"+1") and they do not come cheap, only to throw away the other stem which is basically still brand new. :ermm:

But all that aside, because we are 2 continents away, shipping takes time, it is expensive and because I cannot just go to a local shop and see an example or ship it back if I am not happy, I have to be very carefull before I order anything and make sure I provide all the correct information when ordering. :eek2:

So I really appreciate yours and everyone else's detailed feed back and assistance. :)

02 Red Rider
01-26-2005, 01:13 AM
You may want to check Magura for Fat Bars. Magura has quality products and are based in Germany. They have alot of dealers throughout Europe and maybe a little closer to home for you.

Do a google search for Magura. (Sorry I am having a problem with posting the link.)