PDA

View Full Version : Have some questions concerning a RC10GT....(nitro)

YLW400
12-29-2004, 09:16 AM
Hey all, know RC is pretty big here, so I figured I'd ask a few questions here.... Picked up a RC10Gt last night (RTR kit). Anywho, charged the glow plug starter thing, and this morning I go to try and start it.. I got fuel going all over the place!! WTF is up? I assume this is not normal!! The shop I bought it from said to, take the plug all the way out, then take the air filter off (plug the air filter hole) and give it a few pulls until I see fuel coming out of the cylinder... after I see a mist coming out put the glow plug back in, back it off a quarter of a turn of so, put the warmer on, and start it..... I FINALLY got it running this morning, but there is fuel leaking out of everywhere, and it is spitting fuel from the exhaust.. Also, once I got it started (sounded like ****) by the way, I went to tighten the glow plug back to tight, and it died instantly... WTF is going on?:huh Thanks in advance, J.C.

dirt308
12-29-2004, 09:26 AM
Your running rich play with the screw on the carb and see if you can lean it out a little. call the hobby shop asnd ask them how many turns i don't remember exaclty what it should be.

YLW400
12-29-2004, 09:32 AM
The manual says tighten it all the way (not very tight obviously) then back it offf 2 1/2 turns... I did that, but still got crap running all over the place.. I have been trying to call the hobby shop for an hour, and the phone is busy.. Someone left the phone off the hook I guess.... I will go out and try it again though.. this thing is going to be frustrating...lol

Ralph
12-29-2004, 09:57 AM
wait till you take the thing out for its first drive and one of those little crappy plastic pieces breaks. Then you replace it with aaluminum replacement, take it for a drive, and the next part breaks.

Be prepared to put alot of money into rc cars. They can get pretty pricey.

As for the rc10gt its prob the best choice.

YLW400
12-29-2004, 10:59 AM
Yea, I know how that goes Ralph.. I was into electric cars years ago.. Like when the Grashopper, Hornet, Lunchbox, and all of those were cool... Tamiya products... alot of fun nonetheless. I did get it going finally. Ran about 3 tanks of fuel through it, but I still don't think I have it exactly right. Sometimes when I try to take off it will stall. To rich I guess? Is it just drowning itself in fuel? It does haul the mail though. I am "trying" to do a semi-slow break in period, but it's kinda tough to do..lol Also if I try to use the break, it will stall instantly.. any suggestions?

dirt308
12-29-2004, 11:00 AM
just be careful with it if its real cold out thats when the plastic parts break the most. I've raced r/c cars for around 5 or 6 years but never messed with nitro to much, I've helped a few people with them but never really found everything out. Good luck with it.

YLW400
12-29-2004, 11:02 AM
It's not too bad out here today as far as temp. That's all I have ever ran dirt was electric. But i wanted something faster, and noisier....lol I used to run a Losi truck years ago, but could never afford a RC-10T, so I said heck with it, I'm going gas just to play around with it.

MY450R
12-29-2004, 11:20 AM
i know what your problem is
you know that little knob thing on your exhaust pipe??
the part that has a hose connected to it
well take it off the pipe
somwething is clogging that lil bugger and thats why its doing this

if thats not it let me know
but im pretty sure thats your problem

YLW400
12-29-2004, 11:42 AM
you don't think it's just the high speed needle valve?

MY450R
12-29-2004, 12:33 PM
i had the same thing happen to one of my trucks
is there any gas in the line that goes to the pipe??there shouldnt be
i really dont think its the high speed needle
you have a piece of dirt or something clogged somewhere

MY450R
12-29-2004, 01:11 PM
just like when you put your finger over the pipe...it will give it more fuel so if that lil inlet gets clogged you will get that
i know its brand new but like i said i had that happen to me and it was brand new aswell and it took me forever to figure out what was wrong turns out it was a little piece of rubber that was in theer screwing things up

YLW400
12-29-2004, 02:01 PM
well, 450R, I did pull the hose out of the exhaust. There isn't a knob or anything, it's just pushed into the exhaust. There was nothing clogging the tube, but there is fuel in that line. I did lean it out a little bit, and it seems to be running a little bit better, except from low to high RPM it is a little hesitant. I guess that's just the low RPM setting isn't quiet set right. I also have lost 2 of the bushing/o-ring things inside for the drive train. All it is, is a piece of teflon and a little orange o-ring. I think i am going to have to buy those things in bulk. Sometimes too when I am in a turn and smack on it, I hear a gear on gear type sound. Needless to say it doesn't sound real good when I do that...It is a blast to goof with, I've only flipped it twice in about an hour :eek:

MY450R
12-29-2004, 02:13 PM
if there is nothing in the line then check your fuel filler cap it could be letting air in the line
when its running is there air bubbles in the fuel line??

the thing with the needles is that if you mess with one you usually have to mess with all of them
DO NOT TOUCH THE MIDRANGE NEEDLE at all no matter what!!
i cannot stress that enough thats if it has a mid needle
some engines come with no mid needle on the carb

its very hard to say your lean or rich i would really have to run it myself
also if your carb is even slightly loose it will also leak air around the base of the carb so make sure its very secure and not loosening up on you

good luck
if you have any other probs let me know

redlineranger
12-29-2004, 05:22 PM
sounds like the needle settings need to be adjusted and ur glow plug may not be tight enough, ive had too many problems with my nitro tc3, but alot of times it wus my fault from wreckin, its in a bout 10 pieces on my bedroom floor right now, broken pullstart and needs to be cleaned:rolleyes:

DRT
12-29-2004, 06:08 PM
Get a cheap temp guage thats another way you can see if its running rich or lean. A .12 motor tuned right should run around 190 degrees .If its too rich it will run cooler if its to lean it will run hotter.

250rpilot
12-29-2004, 07:08 PM
try leaning out your low speed needle about an 1/8th turn. should help with the problem you describe. they tend to load up at idle if the low speed needle is even a blonde c*** hair too rich, and when you dump it, it bogs down.

i have found that a lean low speed needle works well with a slightly riuch high speed needle. allows for better throttle response coming out of corners and off the line. just have to make sure that wherever you are lean, you cycle it into the rich area every few seconds to get fuel into the engine to keep the temps down.

say you LSN is lean, and your HSN is slightly rich, you would want to goose it to full throttle every few seconds to dump fresh fuel into the engine.

BTW, i had a rc10gt, i currently have a gen 1 tmaxx and a losi xxxnt. they have been sitting in the closet for 2 years now. i gotta get them back out and let er rip, i miss it!!!

YLW400
12-30-2004, 05:16 PM
Thanks alot for the tips guys, I appreciate it a ton. J.C.