PDA

View Full Version : Rubicon vs. Sportsman 500 H.O.

400Ex_Rida
12-28-2004, 05:04 PM
Which is better for mud, trails, working, and reliability?

HondaForemanNo1
12-28-2004, 09:14 PM
The Rubicon takes the cake on work and reliability.

The Polaris wins on mud, because if the IRS, which is always better for mud.

Rubicon can be modded and be good in the mud, but the Polaris modded in the same way will generally beat it in mud.

There's something I don't like about the motors in Polaris, but Honda has the durable, lasting motor.

The Polaris will be good to you, if you want to work on it. It just doesn't hold up as well as the Rubicon.

Hope this helped, and if you got any more questions, lemme know.

400Ex_Rida
12-28-2004, 10:20 PM
So basically are you saying the rubicon would be the better "all around" choice?

TheFontMaster
12-28-2004, 10:28 PM
I'd say all around the rubicon is better. I don't like the polaris IRS, or any IRS for that matter, but thats just me. And the sportsman's are around 700 lbs. Too heavy for my liking.

HondaForemanNo1
12-29-2004, 07:15 AM
Yep, the Rubicon will "play" more, and will still be fairly decent in the mud. Another thing, if you're gonna be doing work with it, as in towing, you defenitely want SRA over IRS, which chooses the Rubicon.

400exblimp
12-30-2004, 12:53 PM
I think the Rubicon is the better ATV for reliability.I have never liked polaris,they are just strange . My wife has a bad back but still rides,I bought her an 04 polaris sportsman 500 HO because of the ride,nothing rides like a polaris(one of my friends calls them the hovercrafts). I must admit, it is a good quad,she used to be ready to quit riding after 20 miles,now we run 75 to 80 miles with no back pain. It has good power and kicks *** in the mud,you can even slide it around a little(in 2 wheel drive). We put 600 miles on it this summer with no problems......so far,but im still a Honda man.Im keeping my 400EX.

sportraxkid
12-31-2004, 06:13 PM
have u considered the vinson I realy like my new vinson It is great for plowing and for mud. In the sand my vinson goes more places then my uncles foreman or rubicon. Its been a great bike the only recall there was on it was the gas petcock's leak because the bolts are to long but I heard the new ones are fixed. then fixed are's for free even though It didnt leak. My other uncle has a 04 sportsman 500ho and one of his cv joint went bad and that wasnt cheap :ermm: You should look into the vinson its a awsome been a awsome bike. Are's has about 300 miles on it we bought the first 05 in salt lake. the only difference in the 05's is the graphics has orange in them and look better.

sportraxkid
12-31-2004, 06:15 PM
The vinson is also cheaper.

TANK
01-03-2005, 11:23 AM
I DON'T WANT TO SOUND LIKE I FAVOR MY GUAD BECAUSE I DON'T BUT IF YOU LIKE THE MUD AND A SPORTY FEEL AND HANDLING IT'S TUFF TO BEAT THE RINCON I CAN SLIDE AND FLY ON THE TRAILS AND IT DOES GREAT IN THE MUD

FAST 450R#1
01-29-2005, 11:29 PM
If u want a good quad i would go with the honda rubicon or rincon i have a 2003 honda rincon with a little over 5500 miles on it an the only poblem i had was the wheel bering on the front laeft went out because we have very fine dirt hear well any ways i went muddin this summer with one of my budes an he has a 2002 polaris 500 with 4100 miles an it was junk the front diff didnt work the 4wd didnt work in revers an it would only go about 40mph

LRacing
01-30-2005, 10:34 PM
I've got a 04 Sportsman 500 H.O. and it seems to hold it's own in the mud and on the trail. They are a bit heavy (700 lbs), but i'm only 120lbs and i can throw the bike around no problem. The bike rides awesome, four wheel drive works great. I've topped mine out at 70 mph on a gravel road. I'm not saying anything bad about Honda's cuz i know a lot of people that have them and i like them a lot...but i love my sportsman

EzZ
03-26-2005, 01:01 PM
i may only be 16 but i have driven a sportsman 500 H.O., a sportsman 400, a honda rincon, and i think that the 500 H.O. is one of the best for mud becuz of its ground clearence but my uncle had problems with his and i did not like the independant suspension for pulling cuz we used it on the farm alot and the independant rear suspension is not good for pulling. the honda is a good all round machine and if you want it to last get the honda, but suzuki makes a 400 4x4 QuadRunner called Eiger Quadrunner and i have driven them they are light weight and are great for mudding and they can pull a lot too.

397ccEX
03-31-2005, 05:08 PM
Yes sirreee honda all the way more reliable