PDA

View Full Version : how to align front wheels

04-23-2002, 08:15 PM
Self explanitory. I had a crash today, a bad one (4 detail on it, look in the open forum under " ahh!!! this frickin hurt!!!), and it bent the tie rods, it looks like this, ______/\_, i can straight'n it out, but the alignment, i am guessing, measuse the distance from tire to tire on the front of the tires, then the distance on the back? N e replies would be appreciated

04-23-2002, 08:18 PM
i meant to put the distance from tire to tire ont he front of the front tires, the measure distance on the back of the front tires.

mitty_ex
04-23-2002, 09:27 PM
Take a measurement from center to center in front of the tires, then the same in the rear of the tires. When the measurement is the same you are aligned. Also ensure your handle bars are straight. Hope that helps.

SGA
04-23-2002, 09:40 PM
You need a little toe-in to make it handle properly. About 1/2 inch.( 1/4 on each side) Go to search at the top and type in the word alignment. theres some good threads about aligning the front tires

04-23-2002, 09:42 PM
bent the tie rods, it looks like this, ______/\_, i can straight'n it out,

I hope you mean the problem and not the tie rod. Once they bend they are never right again and will bend easier, so just go get some new ones.

And get yourself checked out. that was a pretty good wreck and you dont want to be bleeding internally and not know it.