PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Broke Off In Motor And Dont Know How To Get It Out...help????

oj250r
12-27-2004, 09:00 PM
ITS BROKE OFF IN MY HEAD BY THE EXHAUST I ITS LIKE A 1/4 OF A AN ICH STICKIN OUT AND I ALREADY TRIED VICE GRIPS AND THAT WONT GET IT...WHAT ELSE SHOULD I DO.....I WOULD POST A PIC TO SHOW YALL BUT I DONT KNOW HOW TO POST PICS STILL....

HELP!!!! :confused:

hardkoratvmxr
12-27-2004, 09:11 PM
try taking a cordless drill and take the piece on the drill and tighten it on the piece that is sticking out. and then oput it in reverse and see if it will thread itself out. if you understand what i put.

LazeR
12-28-2004, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by oj250r
.I WOULD POST A PIC TO SHOW YALL BUT I DONT KNOW HOW TO POST PICS STILL....

www.imageshack.us click on browse, find your pic, click on open, click host it.....takes you to a new page with 4 boxes, copy the text in the top left box, and paste it in the box on here, and it will show your pic :D

mojoe2878
12-28-2004, 05:59 AM
go to the auto parts store or to sears and buy a bolt remover drill bit kit. you can drill a small hole in the broken bolt and then screw the reverse threaded peice in and it will tighten up and then start to loosen the bolt and then just unscrew it out.

Curless #32
12-28-2004, 06:10 AM
Dude, if you don't have the know how then don't, I repeat DON'T F with it! If there is still a nub sticking out take it to a machine shop, engine shop, whatever but DO NOT ruin what is left sticking out. I do this type of repair all of the time but for me to explain how would be about impossible do to the fact that I can't touch it. I know it will cost you something but not near as much as it will if you break it off flush or start drilling on it and ruin the head! Pay the money and have a pro take a look.

Rico
12-28-2004, 06:52 AM
It's the header bolt that's broke I"m assuming. I did the same thinga bout 2 weeks ago. Drilled down the center and used an easy out to remove it. Took me about 30 minutes to fix the problem...:cool:

Aceman
12-28-2004, 07:11 AM
Another trick that works very well is taking a flat washer and welding it to the top of the bolt. Then weld a nut onto the flat washer, now unscrew it with a wrench. If this sounds out of your league just take it to a professional and save yourself a headache.

maskale
12-28-2004, 06:57 PM
If you try the easy out method, just dont break the easy out off in the bolt, I did that, and spent at least a hour with a dremel and those little pointed rock bits grinding that thing out. I ended up drilling both of my bolts out and retaping. Depending on how mechanically you are inclined, I would not recomend drilling in the head if you have never drilled a bolt out and retapped. IF your drill bit starts to walk on you and end up off dead center of the bolt then you will get into the aluminum, and once that bit gets to the aluminum it will want to keep going into the soft aluminum. Like others have said it may be best to pay to have it done.

oj250r
12-28-2004, 07:26 PM
thanks for all the input ia guess i'll just take it to someone and pay them cause i dont want to f*** it up....thanks

ss440ex
12-28-2004, 09:15 PM
Do what Aceman said.
Use a Tig welder.

dunebuggie66
12-29-2004, 11:07 AM
why don't you just weld the head on and forget about all the bolts? that's what i do to all my machines.

XANDADA
12-29-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by dunebuggie66
why don't you just weld the head on and forget about all the bolts? that's what i do to all my machines. :uhoh:

JRDrider22
12-29-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by XANDADA
:uhoh:

i was thinking the same thing...:rolleyes:

ss440ex
12-29-2004, 12:47 PM
Across thread is as good as a safety!!
:D :D :eek2: :D :D