PDA

View Full Version : I finally decided to go for it.

hondardr4life
12-27-2004, 06:11 PM
I ended up deciding to port and polish my 330 while its all apart installing the kit. But the catch is that me and ym grandpa are doing it ourselves. I'm not going with an all out insane port, just a mild one to let it breathe a little better. I have heard not to do anything with the intake port, or was the people who said that just on crack? They said to port and really polish up the exhaust though. I was going to port the intake slighty, and polish it, and then do a larger port for the exhaust. I need some suggestions before I do this tomorrow. ANd not "take it to someone who knows what theyre doing".

nosliw
12-27-2004, 06:51 PM
i havent done it on a small quad engine but have helped on a v8 head. i just remember to keep the intake rough and the exhaust smooth as a babys ***. may be different for quads though??

good luck.

hondardr4life
12-27-2004, 07:18 PM
a thats what I have heard, but I wasnt sure. Anymore tips, like how I should make the curves and how much I should take off? Or any other info. I should know before I start on this.

khen
12-27-2004, 07:57 PM
I've never seen how a 300EX head looks, but I ported and polished my 400EX head. I ended out doing a bit more than a mild port job on mine. For a mild port job I would just sharpen the the bridge that splits the port into 2 and take out blemishes. If you see definite narrow sections at the opening you could open that up too. You could also match the intake boot to the intake port on the head. You do want to leave the intake a bit rough for better fuel atomization and polish the exhaust as smooth as you can get it.

Here's a picture of a mild port done on a XR400 head I found on the internet.

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/xr4engwk/images/pic9.jpg

hondardr4life
12-27-2004, 08:30 PM
Ok, thanks guys. Keep em coming, im leaving at 6 tomorrow to go into the shop.