PDA

View Full Version : 400ex or Z400

holeshot66
12-27-2004, 04:04 PM
Ok you guys i need help ...i want both but can only have one...
soooooo which whould i go with ...400ex or z400...i was think about the Z because its liquid cooled and more race ready ... but i was also thinking that the 400ex was air cooled so it wouldnt run for very long very good how long could i run it and still perform well... and how good is the new Z...How fast does the Z400 go..and how fast does the 400ex go...?

please help

quad
12-27-2004, 05:35 PM
speedwise...they are very close.I sold my ex to buy a Z and have no regrets.The ex is a very reliable quad tho.The water cooling is a plus on the Z,however the EX i had never ran real hot.Id say get a Z because its more up to date.The new Z's have a few upgrades over previous models.The Ex got reverse and different gearing(which is not impressive to say the least).Ill stick with my Z !!:D

mx8
01-05-2005, 06:46 AM
I see people having less problems with the 400ex. Everybody says aircooled sucks. WHY there are less things to worry about. They don't over heat. I say 400ex, that way you don't have to spend 600.00 to get your frame fixed, I think the steering stem has a bushing not a bearing in it. CHEAP!

quad
01-05-2005, 08:25 AM
Ya wont be worried about my "cheap" bushing when I blow past ya!!
As far as 600.00 to get the frame fixed,I got mine gusseted and PC'd by pappy way cheaper!!:D

mx8
01-05-2005, 08:42 AM
Thats great but if i were to buy a new quad and have to take it all apart to fix a NEW frame i would be pissed. I think that they are both great quads. I just think that the honda is built a little better. As for the speed, the 400ex don't loose by much. My friend had a z400 stock we raced down a paved road me on my stock 400ex pipe, tires all stock. And he would only pull a little on top end. It's all in what you like, for me i'll stick with the old air cooled 400ex. I know it will get me there and back :D

tido450
01-05-2005, 10:14 AM
i feel the same way, i dont think you should buy a quad knowing its gonna have to be gusseted just to survive, i had to gusset my z and wasnt happy about it at all. but i was checkin out the 05 z's the other day and they reinforced the weak areas

quad
01-05-2005, 02:15 PM
I had a 400ex with a pipe.I was very happy with it.Then I decided to sell it and buy a Z.I think it was a very wise decision,as I have no regrets.The new 400ex still aint as impressive as everyone thought it was going to be with the gearing changes.The Z responds alot better per mod than the EX too.Not to mention,I think the Z looks way better.I guess its all in preference.I will admit....you cant beat the reliability of a Honda!! I rode red all my life,and I was very nervous of makin the switch.

suzuki Z400
01-05-2005, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by mx8
Thats great but if i were to buy a new quad and have to take it all apart to fix a NEW frame i would be pissed. I think that they are both great quads. I just think that the honda is built a little better. As for the speed, the 400ex don't loose by much. My friend had a z400 stock we raced down a paved road me on my stock 400ex pipe, tires all stock. And he would only pull a little on top end. It's all in what you like, for me i'll stick with the old air cooled 400ex. I know it will get me there and back :D

What is wrong with the z's frame? i havent been into this for a while so i havent heard anything.

quad
01-05-2005, 04:10 PM
The 03 Z's were notorious for frame breaks.The 04's were also.They tend to break if being ridden hard.I suggest you take a good look at ya frame at the head stay(where the steering stem attaches infont of ya gas tank),and on the upper front shock mounts.They have been known to break in other spots as well.Arens makes a frame brace to virtually eliminate any flexing at the front shock mounts.They sell for around 70 dollars.Most people have their frames gusseted for the extra piece of mind.You can get a gusset kit from bare performance.....and weld it yourself or have someone weld it for you.I chose to send mine to pappy(from this site) for gussets and powder coat.I cant wait to get it back!!:D
I hear the 05 Z's have had a few extra braces on their frames..but I dont know for sure.I know my Z was ridden very hard and rolled several times by the previous owner(who had no fear of hillclimbs).My frame wasnt cracked,but I did it anyway because I didnt want to take any chances.I hope this helped ya understand a lil on the Z's frames.