PDA

View Full Version : First time out on new quads(read all)

Lou400ex
12-27-2004, 07:25 AM
Started the morning early, went out and got all supplies needed: smacks, fuel etc. Bought some french vanilla coffee to butter up the wife so she'ed be happy in going with us. I'm tring to get her into riding. got home and loaded the trailer up and got the boys ready.
waited very patiently fer Ms. howell to get ready for her 3 hour tour.jk. she packed an over night bag all her make up. etc.
We headed out all exited. she's taking pictures of me pulling out of the garage with the new trailer new quads that Santa left.
Traveled on the 60E to the 15N where every body and thier mother was at going to vegas. needless to say, my regular time to Bell Mnt. (just past Victor Ville) is 1.5 hours. It took 2.5 to 3 hours. Wife and kids all wining and "are we there yet".
I didn't get mad, I stayed calm. This was the trip that was going to addict my wife to this lifestyle.
We finally got there and unloaded the quads and warmed them up. Gave quick instructions and my oldest gets on the pipe and bolts off. I quickly throw it into 2nd and get in front of him and tell him to to take it easy. I look up and see some guy from another camp signaling me to look back. My other son in on the ground with his quad ontop of him. I jammed back to help and I see my wife running and yell toward him. I pull him out and stand him up.
He's scared and confused but ok. mom get there and she's freaking out. " I new this was a bad idea"! she's yelling at me.
Thanks to the people that helped. My wife saw the type of people who ride. Very cool.
Well my wife and son went back to camp and my oldest (7) and I road for a little bitt and it was great. He was fearlessly ready to hit the jumps.
Those DS50's got some nutz for being s50cc.s
Lou

660bigdaddy
12-27-2004, 07:51 AM
well, lets hear the reast of the story? will mrs. howell go again? did your youngest get back on the horse?(ds50) i took my wife riding once. never again. she almost flipped her quad. she likes riding on the back of mine, but won't driving one.

Lou400ex
12-27-2004, 08:45 AM
She was acually cool after the dust settled and Andy was ok. He hurt his left sholder, no brusies or swelling. He milking it for all it's worth though. He was done for the day, he justed wanted mom to baby him. I took matt and rode off and had a good ride. I was scared Matt (7) was going to take a fall but he did very well. Every rut or crack in the dirt made me nervus. Matt ran thru them very well. I still can't explain how Andy (5) flipped his quad? My wife said he bolted after us and then it happened. I think she will still be into the quads and I hope to get hers next year or two.
Lou

dirtmomma
12-27-2004, 09:18 AM
Haha nice story :) sounds like some of the rides we've been on LOL, don't worry it happens to the best hehehee. Heck try driving 8-9 hrs to the dunes to have your nephew hop on his quad for 10 mi ns & BLOW THE DAMN MOTOR :( that was an exciting trip haha. Hope your wife gets into the quads & riding she doesn't kow what she's missing!!!:devil:

Arctic Cat Dad
12-27-2004, 11:33 AM
Lou,

Glad to see that the day wasn't a full waste. That won't be the last wreck either. MOMS are like that. Mine is the worst in the world. She always has the worst thoughts in mind when they wreck. Once she really gets to see the smiles on the boys face she will come around. Believe me If my wife has a change in heart then any women will. :D

Here's a little story. Michael rides a Polini x3 works. We were riding one day, He was on his bike I was on my quad. Now this bike will do 50 mph easy. Mom was videoing us. He yells let's race. He pinned the throttle and was flying thru a huge field. Me trying to catch him.When to my horror I watched him hit a grounghog hole. It swollowed his front tire.He went flying over the bars, the bars cought him in the groin and threw him like a rag doll. At this piont my wife was running to him. It threw him 10 feet past his bike. He landed 18 feet from where the hole was.I thought God this is the 1. To much suprise Michael jumped right up and was trying to pick up his bike,which was still running. Before I got to him he was off again. My wife was yelling get him off that *@#* thing. I told her he's alright. She yelled NOW. Michael came flying back and told his mom "How did you like that one ,That was a good one."

My wife is a wreck when she watches him race or when he practices his tricks. But she has finally come around. She says that is what he wants to do. She says a child can get hurt no matter what they do. Children get hurt playing baseball, football. or whatever. So If my wife can have a change in heart then any women can come around.

Lou400ex
12-27-2004, 11:48 AM
WOW, now thats a story!
I can't wait to go out again and I am taking my wife. My son is still complaining about his arm, I can't tell if its true or he's just milking it. He's a tough kid but mom likes to baby her baby. But after pulling the quad off of him even I couldn't Say"get up and walk it off" wich is what usualy comes out of my mouth.
I just have this great vision of my boys and me riding together all the time.
Lou

Arctic Cat Dad
12-27-2004, 11:57 AM
It is such a rush to ride with your kids. When the weather is warmer, my son and I ride every day. It's brings so much joy to be able to do this. It's a father and son thing.It gives us some 1 on 1 time. You will like and cherish these moments in do time. And you will remember every 1 of them!

Lou400ex
12-27-2004, 12:05 PM
Those are the memories that I have of my dad. (fishing rock jumping in canyons etc. Thats what got me started in all this (quads). When mom asks them about ther best memories, it's fishing, hiking and going out to with dad.
That is the best thing a dad can hear so getting them on quads early means more memories and dirt riding time for us.
Lou

Lou400ex
12-28-2004, 08:45 AM
Well I guess I turned out to be the milkman!:( :confused:
Andy's arm was still hurting so mom took him to the doctor and they had x-rays done.........fractored arm just under his left sholder.
I feel so bad I didn't think it could be because ther was no swelling or brusing. My little man was just sucking up the pain.
He made me poud.
broken arm, less than a minute on new quad!
I talked to my wife about going riding after the rain stops.
She has a positive mind about it.;)
Lou

400exdad
01-16-2005, 07:44 AM
I hate to see where kids get hurt on ATV's. I've been very blessed that niether of my sons having been hurt like that. And it stinks that is happened right off the truck! Maybe Mom will get over it.

I have two sons, one who is 14 now and the other who is 7. When my 14 yr. old was 7, we started riding. Both of us were new to quads and that helped that we were on the same level. Anyway, when we would go ride, I would get a serious nervous stomach! I really "hated" riding until I realized that we had to live and he may get hurt doing so... no matter what we are doing... and I would rather he be with me than with some "buds" where I didn't really know where or what they were doing. Know what I mean? Well, years have gone by and my oldest and I have some great memories of being out on the trails together... one of them seeing a bald eagle flying within 200' of us. Cool! Now, my youngest is riding.. and while I get the "stomach" sometimes, it is not as bad... as I know what great times are ahead.

So, now that we are all riding, this leaves the wife/mom out.. so I've been thinking about getting her something to ride. And while she has been with us a few times, whenever we had a spare vehicle of mine or borrowed, she has done okay... but gets the sore, numb thumb. She really could care less about going... Basically, I am at a tough decision. Get an extra quad (she really wants an automatic) or not. This may be something that just me and the boys need to do on our own.. tough decision.. as I really would like to start taking some camping trips at ride areas.

Tell the little guy to get better and get back on that thing! On my oldest, we read the manual together and on both of them I actually pushed them around the yard and quizzed them about leaning side to side and front to back... "Get that butt over!" I think it helped... We've been riding for 7 years now and have been many places and have many great memories! I wouldn't trade them for anything!

Danlwil
01-16-2005, 09:00 AM
I've a season under my belt now and have yet to get Mrs Danlwil on a quad....

except she rode and drove the Bomb in the test drive last week.....

She rode behind me on the 1st time around yelling "Slow down!" all the way. "I'm only going 10 mph," I said

As I came around; I stopped, hopped on behind her and said, "Your turn." The look on her face wa priceless. After showing her the controls off she went. "Come on, speed up, lets go, " I said. "Leave me alone, I'm fine" she said..... then I heard, "GET OFF!!"

Well!! ~:rolleyes: off she went... I was still offering advice and she threatened to make me walk back! :D

As she came around the 3rd time she stopped and I told her to go again.... "It's OK? I can?" THE SMILE WAS HUGE and around she went... "I went 25 mph, she said.

It's great... for the 1st time she is excited to go out and ride.... now we need a decent weekend weatherwise :ermm:

Racerx63
01-21-2005, 03:15 PM
I've have a story also. My son rides a full race version of the Kasea 90. He does really good on it. Has had one little mishap on a berm track but got right back up and rode again.

The real part of the story is that they can get hurt doing anything. He has just broke his left forearm for the second time but not a quad. The first time visiting relatives up in Oregon last July he fell off a bale of hay and broke both bones in the forearm. Then just 3 weeks ago he was running in the house with his little brother and cousin with socks on a tile floor. Slips and rebreaks the same arm.

He loves riding in the dunes. Hopefully he will enjoy it for a long time. My wife also has a quad. Just got it for her a month ago.