PDA

View Full Version : valve seating

440exnacsracer
12-26-2004, 10:47 PM
hey, i was wondering what is required for valve seating. does anyone know of a website that shows in detail the process done? thanks
Ben

mojoe2878
12-27-2004, 05:34 AM
i dont know of a web site but i will try and explain it to you.
you can go to the auto parts store and buy some fine grit valve lapping compound and a valve lapping tool, the lapping tool looks like a suction cup with a handle on it, they are both inexpensive.
take one valve and put it a small amount of the compound on the seating face or the valve seat( it doesnt take a whole lot) and insert it into to its valve hole and put the suction cup tool on the valve face, put the handle inbetween both ands and roll it back and forth like you are rubbing you hands together with the lapping tool inbetween them, every so often turn the valve about 180 degrees and keep on spinning it by rubbing your hands together back and forth with the tool inbetween them, take the valve back out every so often and check it to see what it looks like, it will have a polished ring around it where the valve meets the valve seat when it is done, then do the next valve in the neaxt valve hole, just be sure to keep the valves in order so you can put them in the hole that you lapped them for, and besure to wash all the lapping compound off the valves and head real good when you are done. put all the valves in and springs and retainers on and do a solvent test to check for any leaks around the valve seats to see if they need to be lapped any more.
hope this helps you out some.

Aceman
12-27-2004, 07:57 AM
I usually just put a drill on the valve stem and run it at low speed to lap the valves.

440exnacsracer
12-27-2004, 01:24 PM
thanks for the input guys, im going to order the valves in a few minutes and go get one of the tools tomorrow.
Ben