PDA

View Full Version : oversized head studs???

mojoe2878
12-26-2004, 09:32 PM
where is a good web site to get over sized head studs from? i am having problems blowing head gaskets and i was gonna either try to heli coil the head stud holes or get over sized head studs, which would be my best bet on making it stronger for the 440 with a 11:1 comp. ratio so it will lesson the chances of head gaskets blowing? i already use the flex steel gaskets and im not loosing compression when they blow but its leaking oil from the head where it meets the jug.

EPDP99
12-26-2004, 09:34 PM
i would go with the studs. i cant remember the brand but ill try to do some research for you

mojoe2878
12-26-2004, 09:36 PM
ok, thanks, ive looked around but cant seem to find what i need.

TC426EX
12-26-2004, 09:39 PM
Definitely do the heavy duty studs over the heil coils... I heli coiled first and then STILL blew head gaskets and had to do the HD studs in the end anyway. The best place I have found to get the heavy duty head studs is from East Coast ATV. They sell them for like 95 bucks or something and then you just install them yourself. You will need to drill out the stud holes bigger of course, and this is best left to someone with a bridgeport who can drill them out 100% straight. Once they are tapped, youre good to go... I even red loctited mine in place when I put them in so they shouldnt be going anywhere... Since Ive added them I havent blown a single head gasket....

If you dont want to do it yourself, then Im sure ECATV would give you a price to just send them your cylinder and have them do it for you...

toby400ex
12-27-2004, 10:17 PM
I dont get why 4 head studs cost $95. Are they specifically made for this application? Or are they from some kind of car like many other parts used on quads, like bearings and what not.:confused:

CRE Performance
12-27-2004, 10:25 PM
If its not losing comp. I wouldnt think oversized studs or helicoils are going to do you any good. I would check the flatness of the cyl head and the deck of the jug. Its bound to be a little off. If you dont have the money to have them surfaced, I would buy some "Indian gasket sealer" from a good auto parts store and apply it around the oil sealing area. Either way, IMO I think your barking up the wrong tree with that method, it would be an entirely different story if it were losing comp.

sampleez
12-28-2004, 06:23 PM
i didn't have a prob w/ blowing the gasket, but my studs were pulling out of the aluminum threads. i used timeserts (sp). they are steel thread inserts, like helicoils, but a lot longer and stronger. i've had them in for about 6 months w/ no probs yet. you just have to drill out the hole and tap it w/ included tap and thread in the insert and finally thead and torqe the stock studs back in. i even locktited mine for the heck of it.

frogburner
01-02-2005, 05:43 PM
Call FDO Racing, I got mine from there and am running a 12.5:1 compression 440. 1-740-967-1078. Thats the number. Never had a problem yet, the only thing that has me scratching my head, is why my base gasket has a slight leak,. Hopefully it wont hurt anything, and its only on the exhaust side..