PDA

View Full Version : bead blasting head

maskale
12-26-2004, 05:22 PM
I broke two of my exhaust studs off in the head. So I had to take the head off to drill them out and retap (pain in the *****). Well it seemed to me that I have alot of carbon build up on the valves, valve shafts and head, could I bead blast these clean? I wanted to just clean up the outside also just to give it a fresh look.

This is was I thought about doing, is to bolt the valve cover onto the head using the short bolts and leaving the valves installed so that the seating part off the valves would not get damaged by the blasting. Then blast the whole outside and in the exhaust ports to clean the black stuff out and also clean the exposed valve shafts in there. Then LIGHTLY blast the the valves and cylinder head.

Is this OK, or completly stupid, has anyone else done this?
Is carbon buildup common?
What about the gasket area should I avoid blasting it?

Thanks.

TC426EX
12-26-2004, 05:30 PM
Every time I take my top end apart I bead blast the head. Youll be fine man. The bead blasting isnt like sandblasting, its not made for stripping down metal as abrasively. A light bead blast will be good, and will clean up the carbon buildup nicely...

maskale
12-26-2004, 05:37 PM
do you take your valves out and blast the valve seat also?

Craig02
12-27-2004, 07:42 AM
I have done this also, it will make your head look like new. But I would suggest completely disassembling the head, beacuse if any little bit of that media gets in you cylinder you will be messed up.

TC426EX
12-27-2004, 07:55 AM
Yes, I disassemble the head when I do it...

Dave400ex
12-27-2004, 11:32 AM
I was wondering about this HPC stuff and if it could be put on cylinders and the heads.
HPC (http://www.hpcoatings.com/appearance_coatings.htm)

K_Fulk
12-27-2004, 02:05 PM
I wouldn't put that stuff on anything that cools your motor. It doesnt say anything about shedding heat and would most likely hold more in.

Also after you beadblast the head if you polish the dome when your done it will help keep the carbon from sticking as much. Bead blasting is a lot smoother than sand but its far from smooth.