PDA

View Full Version : KFX700...pipes glowing hot

Blackjack
12-26-2004, 05:17 PM
Hey all,
I have an 04 Kawasaki KFX700 (V-Force) that I just put the Big Gun RACE exhaust system and a Quad Works power kit on. The first time I rode it I noticed the first 6 inches of the exhaust pipes are glowing. Its not real bright, kind of a dark red, and it can only be seen at night.

Should I be worried about that or is it a normal thing?

I cant say for sure if they were glowing before I put the pipes and power kit on it because I have never ridden it at night before. I assume they wern't because there was no discoloration or anything on the stock pipes. The Big Gun pipes discolored to a dull grey by the head after about 2 hours of ride time.

I don't remember the size of the jets from the power kit I put in the carbs, but they were the ones reccomended for sea level to 3000 ft.
I was riding at the beach when I noticed the problem

Thanks for any info

400exrider707
12-26-2004, 06:46 PM
Needs bigger jets. There isn't enough gas coming in to cool the engine, therefore it is running lean. Try adjusting the mixture screw and it might go away. The glowing is because its running too hot.

Blackjack
12-26-2004, 09:24 PM
I always thought running lean would melt pistons but not get the exhaust too hot. And running rich would get the exhaust hotter than it should and foul out the engine.

Am I wrong here? I'm pretty good with automotive engines and an expert with diesels, but ATV engines and the carburators on them especially are somewhat new to me.

Mobile Dyno
12-27-2004, 07:27 AM
400exrider707 is right Need bigger main jets. I've dynoed a KFX700 with the same set up you have, I'll pull the graphs. I'll post the graphs tonight but I think the mains that it had were 142 in the front carb and 144 in the back carb. Hope this helps. All the air/fuel mix. screw does is it adjust the mixture for idle. :)

Blackjack
01-03-2005, 10:43 PM
Thanks.
I'll put in bigger jets and see what happens

300ex73
01-15-2005, 02:30 AM
One other thing that can cause the type of heat you're talking about is that the ignition timing is incorrect. It'll still run, but it'll heat up way fast, and get way hot.