PDA

View Full Version : Dynoing a quad?

ZSK
12-26-2004, 09:25 AM
Is there a downside to running a quad on a Dyno? I might be doing it and I was just wondering. It'll be after the break in period. Pros and Cons?

meanyellow03ex
12-26-2004, 09:56 AM
I don't see any drawbacks. I mean the quad is loaded by the rollers and can only rev to the limiter, what is there to go wrong? I had mine dyno tuned to find the correct jetting for my HMF pipe, vented airbox lid, and pro-flow intake stuff. It was $70.00 and included the jets, labor, dyno printoff, etc. I'm very glad I did it cause I had the bike jetted too lean based on what others are running. I got a printout of the rear wheel horsepower at various rpms, and an air/fuel graph at different rpms. Can't go wrong...

Mobile Dyno
12-27-2004, 07:51 AM
There is no downside to running a quad on a dyno. You can find so much on what your bike is doing. Every little change that you make to your bike you can see that on the graphs. The only con is that it takes longer to tie down a quad than a motorcycle:)

Toadz400
12-27-2004, 09:45 AM
meanyellow, where did you get your 400ex dynoed?

meanyellow03ex
12-27-2004, 11:57 AM
I had mine done at Mike's cycles in Menasha Wisconsin. Right by Fond du lac. Mike's cycles is a Honda dealer and has a Dynojet dyno for atv's and motorcycles. Cool people up there also. I had a jet kit installed on my machine and they had to completely remove it to get the air/fuel ratio correct. They didn't charge me more than I was quoted even though they had more time into it than normal.

http://mikescycle.hondamcdealers.com/

Curless #32
12-27-2004, 02:21 PM
Dyno time is very valuable for tuning. I dynoed my 450R last October and found out some not so great news about the factory jetting. It was pig rich and down, way down on power! I did not know this all summer but it was. It's worth whatever you have to pay. You will never find more power cheaper than a dyno!

ZSK
12-27-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by meanyellow03ex
I don't see any drawbacks. I mean the quad is loaded by the rollers and can only rev to the limiter, what is there to go wrong?

No rollers;) this is an engine dyno. It's made for snowmobiles, motorcycles, whatever you can fit on it. I think it was around $125 an hour too much?

meanyellow03ex
12-27-2004, 07:11 PM
How's that work? You got the motor out of the quad? Or does it hook up off the sprocket or something? I saw mine done and it's just like a car dyno, they strapped the quad down and had the rear wheels on the rollers. Either way, you can't harm the motor with the factory limiter. $125.00 an hour is a little steep. I'd look around....

ZSK
12-27-2004, 08:00 PM
The way he was explaining it is it hooks directly to the crankshaft and used fluid to provide the resistance. Other than that I don't know exactley. I thought it was steep, but the next closest is 2 hour drive, this one is about 20 mins away.