PDA

View Full Version : battery?

cals400ex
12-26-2004, 01:13 AM
well the starter is spinning but the motor isn't. it feels like there is no compression in the motor when hitting the start button. is this just a dead battery more than likely. it has been below 20 degrees here and i know this isn't good on the batteries.

dork
12-26-2004, 01:29 AM
do you know if the motor is actually turning over? maybe the one-way clutch on the flywheel?

mojoe2878
12-26-2004, 06:47 AM
if the starter isnt spinning real fast like it usually does then its probably just the battery not having enough juice to turn it fast enough to engage the starter clutch. if the starter is spinning as fast as it normaly does then the starter clutch springs may be the problem instead. its one of the two, but its probably just the battery, when the starter clutch goes out it usually acts funny for a little while before it goes all the way out.

Pappy
12-26-2004, 07:30 AM
if the engine is spinning very fast then you have an issue other then a battery.

if the engine is very very slow cranking over its possible as stated the battery is too weak to fire the engine over.

check the battery voltage, it should be 12.7 volts. if its below this charge for an hour at 2 amps and re check

chad502ex
12-26-2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
well the starter is spinning but the motor isn't. it feels like there is no compression in the motor when hitting the start button. is this just a dead battery more than likely. it has been below 20 degrees here and i know this isn't good on the batteries.

This condition you speak of is due to the Sprag Clutch being bad. You need to replace it. The Sprag Clutch is about $50. It spins out on startup. This is your problem.

BTW, sprag clutchs go bad when you run lean on startup by too early detonations which causes kick-back on the sprag.

hope this helps.

chad502ex

Dave400ex
12-26-2004, 10:08 AM
Also with startup, I just got the GSXR750 battery and have been running Pappy's battery cables, what a huge difference both of those make. 55 more CCA over the stock battery.

cals400ex
12-28-2004, 02:01 PM
i am not sure what the problem is. i haven't got in close to look at it yet. the starter is definately spinning from the sounds of it. the motor only turns over for the first second or so when hitting the start button. after that, you just hear the spinning. i know my battery isn't in the best condition considering it is the same one that came in my bike from august of 00. but, the starter definatly seems like it is spinning.

boy, i wouldn't think i am lean on startup. my pilot jet is larger than stock and my fuel screw is turned out from stock. no popping on decerleration either. needle clip is moved down one position from stock too. i always run with my air box lid on until now. i just put a velocity stack in the lid and richened up the jetting. i also just put in a lightened flywheel, which i hope that has nothing to do with it.

where is that sprag clutch located?? i am not familiar with that.

dork
12-28-2004, 05:10 PM
it bolts onto the back of the flywheel, the gear thats turned by the starter gears is the outer part of it.

Pappy
12-28-2004, 05:55 PM
if you have access to another 400ex, swap out the battery. if it still does it as chad stated it very well could be the the sprag...but i have seen situations where the battery voltage is enough to throw the unit but not fully engage it and then you get that spinning noise. either way its usually a simple fix and will be under $60 so you should be ok.

chad502ex
12-28-2004, 06:56 PM
i am not sure what the problem is. i haven't got in close to look at it yet. the starter is definately spinning from the sounds of it. the motor only turns over for the first second or so when hitting the start button. after that, you just hear the spinning. i know my battery isn't in the best condition considering it is the same one that came in my bike from august of 00. but, the starter definatly seems like it is spinning.

boy, i wouldn't think i am lean on startup. my pilot jet is larger than stock and my fuel screw is turned out from stock. no popping on decerleration either. needle clip is moved down one position from stock too. i always run with my air box lid on until now. i just put a velocity stack in the lid and richened up the jetting. i also just put in a lightened flywheel, which i hope that has nothing to do with it.

where is that sprag clutch located?? i am not familiar with that.

as dork indicated it is located on the back of the flywheel. From the indication you described I'd almost bet my hard earned dollar on it- it's the sprag

cals400ex
12-29-2004, 08:20 AM
i am betting so too. i went out there, didn't check voltage, but i hit the starter and it spins pretty good. there isn't any lag. thanks guys. i will probably get one of those and try it out.

cals400ex
12-29-2004, 01:38 PM
i wouldn't need the clutch outer would i? here is a pic from service honda that should clarify things:

http://www.servicehonda.com/hard%20parts/atv/trx400ex%2099-04/trx400ex%20frames%20page.htm

chad502ex
12-29-2004, 02:16 PM
i wouldn't need the clutch outer would i? here is a pic from service honda that should clarify things:

http://www.servicehonda.com/hard%20parts/atv/trx400ex%2099-04/trx400ex%20frames%20page.htm

usually its the center with the sprag dogs that go bad. Only if the race where the sprag dogs ride on it really tore up do you need to replace the outer sprag clutch. most likely the spring that holds the sprag dogs to the center is broken and all you need is the sprag center not outer clutch

hope this helps.
chad

pn 28126-HA7-673

chad502ex
12-29-2004, 02:19 PM