PDA

View Full Version : Mini DV camera's

Freestylemxr
12-25-2004, 05:05 PM
I was just wondering from peoples experiences if there is a difference in what you get for a camera, i'm looking at a sony mini-dv DCR-HC20, I don't care about all the features I just wanted the clearest video for $400 :p any suggestions?

250EXking
12-25-2004, 08:28 PM
I have this a Canon ZR80 Mini DV. It takes some of the best video. It comes with a lot of features for the price.

Canon ZR 80 (http://www.profeel.com/zr80.htm)

Good Price, for a good camera.

Freestylemxr
12-25-2004, 09:21 PM
I heard that it had poor quality when filming indoors or in low lighting, is that true or is it not even noticable?

250EXking
12-25-2004, 10:05 PM
ive filmed everywhere, no problems, there are different settings, i ususally set them for like indoors, where there is low lighting, or later at night it has a night vision. If you have the settings right it will film in any lighting or time of day. OVerall it is a great camera.

Freestylemxr
12-26-2004, 10:09 AM
alright thanks

Cole Trane
12-26-2004, 10:56 PM
I just bought the canon zr 80 and it's a great camera. Haven't gotten to shoot any quad action with it yet, but soon!!! :chinese:

12-26-2004, 11:18 PM
What exactly is a Mini DV camera? Why is it different?

250EXking
12-26-2004, 11:20 PM
Mini DV just refers to the type of tape that it uses. It shoots digital picture but saves to a small tape. DV is the tape that is used.

400exdad
12-27-2004, 10:27 AM
Bought one yet? I've got a ZR65 (more $ that the ZR80.. I think) and it has a flaw that I hate.... maybe the ZR80 doesn't do the same stupid thing. Make sure what you buy can record a shot to a card while it is still taping. My Canon won't but my friends Sony will.

12-27-2004, 10:34 AM
Is there any way to transfer DV movies onto your computer?

250EXking
12-27-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Atkins450
Is there any way to transfer DV movies onto your computer?

Yes most newer computers come with a firewire card, then all you will need to do is buy a transfer cable. I had to buy the card and the cable, i think it was 50 bucks for everything. Yes you can transfer and do editing, it is very easy.

Freestylemxr
12-29-2004, 02:44 PM
I bought a samsung mini dv camera, it was cheep and has great quality in low and high light, its great for filming quads which is basically all i want it for haha, I'm glad i finially can just plug it into my computer and campture it on my computer and start editing it right away haha THey didn't have the zr 80 or 65 in stock and it was gona take a fiew weeks, too long for me to wait!

250EXking
12-29-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Freestylemxr
I bought a samsung mini dv camera, it was cheep and has great quality in low and high light, its great for filming quads which is basically all i want it for haha, I'm glad i finially can just plug it into my computer and campture it on my computer and start editing it right away haha THey didn't have the zr 80 or 65 in stock and it was gona take a fiew weeks, too long for me to wait!

Sounds good man, Hope you have some fun with it. I know I have so far with all that we have taped.

Do you know, is it USB plugin or Firewire? Just wandering.

Have fun man, I use mine all the time.

Freestylemxr
12-29-2004, 08:04 PM
firewire, yea i video tape neatv-mx races when i'm not racing and have my friend film my races so that I can put together some good video's that everyone likes haha

balls2da-wall
12-29-2004, 08:11 PM
Panasonic PV-GS12 $399.00

awesome camera

also have a quick question...in the huevos video the contrast of the video is darker than with "home-video", is that because they us $5,000 cameras or is it in the editing.

-some guy at Best Buy said you can change the contrast with the Adobe Elements editing software, but will it turn out like a true video quality film or not?

Thanks

250EXking
12-29-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by balls2da-wall
Panasonic PV-GS12 $399.00

awesome camera

also have a quick question...in the huevos video the contrast of the video is darker than with "home-video", is that because they us $5,000 cameras or is it in the editing.

-some guy at Best Buy said you can change the contrast with the Adobe Elements editing software, but will it turn out like a true video quality film or not?

Thanks

Yes, if you get a good editing program, you can totally change the quailty and contrast of a video to make it look different. I know what you mean, the Huevos compared to what it looks like on camera, Yes when you edit it you can make it look like that. Also when you transfer the video over, i always use a very high quailty so you can get good quality, make sure you have a nice size hard drive. because 3 minutes of a video i uploaded on one of the better qualities took up over 100mbs. yes it all depends on how you transfer it and you can edit it to look like it looks on huevos.

balls2da-wall
12-29-2004, 08:33 PM
Alright good...because im in charge of making a highlight video for our series and wanted to make sure I could make it look professional. What type of software do you use?

250EXking
12-29-2004, 08:49 PM
I use Final Cut. The more $$$ you spend the more you are going to get. Black Box Films knows his stuff and took some time to put this together. Heres some of the programs, pretty much all of them. Check them out and see what features you need and want, and go from there for your editing. Black Box Films List of Editing Programs (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136588)