PDA

View Full Version : 2-stoke help

freebird
12-25-2004, 02:05 PM
HI All, just got my kid a little YZ 80 for Xmass....wanted to take him out tomorrow but had 2 quick questions beacuse it has been a while since I have done any work on a 2-stroke.

1) Just cleaned the air filer which seems to be stock and it was a mess (Gunna get an aftermarket one once the stores are open)..after cleaning do I have to oil the foam filters on a 2-stroke??

2) When I hold my hand by the exhaust when running I seem to get oil blown all over it and oil is dripping down the exhaust pipe...was the mix too rich?? what else would cause this problem?? what is a good gas/oil ratio for a 1997 80CC.

Thanks

Happy hoilidays!!!!

mojoe2878
12-25-2004, 04:27 PM
1) yes you need to put a light coat of oil on the filter.
2) sounds like some one was running way too much oil in the gas mix. the correct ratio is 32:1 or if its being raced you can go up to 40:1. also be sure sure to use oil mix that is designed for a motorcycle and not for a boat or lawn equipment because the 2 oils are different. a dirt bike runs at a higher rpm than boats and weedeaters and the oil designed for them doesnt give as much protection on a dirt bike. i would drain all the gas thats in there and mix the correct kind and change the plug. you may also need to repack the muffler if its already saturated with oil.