PDA

View Full Version : oil filter

honda400zx
04-23-2002, 06:18 PM
i was changing my oil to day and went to put in a new oil filter i started to take off the filter cover and the long bolt twards the front of the quad broke off with hardly any pressure i was f#cking pissed what should i do im clueless:confused:

redryder300
04-23-2002, 09:26 PM
Spray it down real good with penetrating oil and let it sit for a day or two.
If it's not broken off in the case, then try to grip the broken shaft with vice grips and back it out very slowly.

If it's broken off in the case, you will have to center punch the bolt and drill it out. Start with a small drill bit and work your way up to larger bits until you reach the threads of the bolt.
At this point, you should be able to take a small screwdriver and pick the broken threads out of the bolt hole.

Then invest in a good Tap and Die set and use the correct sized tap to re-tap the bolt hole.

Be careful, cause I believe the case is aluminum and you don't want to screw it up.

I would not recommend using an easy-out, cause if you break it, you ain't gonna be able to drill it out.

Good luck.

Moto92
04-23-2002, 10:39 PM
This seems to happen to everyone, including me.
Now when I change my oil I use anti-sieze compond on the two oil filter bolts.

04-24-2002, 07:40 AM
Hey! Redryder300 has got the right idea, however, I am the unlucky sap that has now successfully removed three long broken bolts from an EX motor (in the head not the oil filter cover).

I was EXTREMELY careful to make sure I hit the middle of the busted bolt with a center punch, drilled it with the smallest necesssary drill bit for an easy out and did use and easy out. Those little suckers aren't in there very tight at all, and the easy out worked great.

Good Luck!

You know, this also brings up another point. After removing the three bolts from the head of my buddies machine, we came to the conclusion that these bolts are FAR too small in size (M6) for their length. I have attempted to get stainless hardware to replace the Honda hardware, but apparently you can't get stainless hardware long enough (Honda calls out 118mm bolts). So my question (finally), has anyone found/used stainless hardware for bolting down the valve cover and/or the oil filter cover? I am sure this would reduce and quite possibly eliminate the bolt breaking problem.