PDA

View Full Version : 78 mph

Phillip
12-24-2004, 01:42 PM
i was clocked by my buddy that has a brand new radar gun and i hit 78 mph. i have a full fmf factory 4 system hrc kit and k&n air filter. i was hitting the rev limiter in 5th gear at 78. whats everybody think? wanna go faster any suggestions?

Kilabanshee
12-24-2004, 01:44 PM
Put on a vortex ignition and run some larger tires.

450ex
12-24-2004, 01:44 PM
your performance parts have nothing to do with your stock speed

that is all in your gearing

your piped bike may get to 78 mph
faster than a stock bike but in all reality
once both bikes top out you will be running the same speed

Phillip
12-24-2004, 01:59 PM
its not even a race when i race my cousin on his 450r (stock) so what are u talking about?

Phillip
12-24-2004, 01:59 PM
as for the vortex ingnition what is it and what does it do?and how much?

beak7707
12-24-2004, 02:02 PM
It rasies your rev limiter and has a couple different power curve settings. It cost 400 buck new I have seen a couple sell for around 300. from what I have heard they are about the best rev/electrical mod out there at the time.

Phillip
12-24-2004, 02:05 PM
anybody know anything else about them?

400exrider707
12-24-2004, 02:24 PM
450EX was right your parts had nothing to do with your speed. They just help you get to your top speed faster. An ignition will alow the engine to rev say 1000 rpms more. This will let you wind out the engine a little more and in turn get a little more top speed. You could just change the sprockets which is the cheapest way. Unless your drag racing or desert racing getting more top speed at this point would be well........pointless

Kilabanshee
12-24-2004, 03:01 PM
Yeah like everyone else says motor work is just going to get you to your top speed faster and have the race quad feel. With a vortex ignition on a stock motor it raises your top speed up to 15mph!! I'de imagine with a hrc "top end cam" and a 13.1 piston, the vortex ignition would basically act like a supercharger to them making them work to their max rpm and getting the full effect of the motor modifications.

450ex
12-25-2004, 06:46 AM
what i'm saying is that you lined up against your buddy in a drag you will take off faster and reach 78mph quicker than him

and you very well may be ahead of him but when he tops out also you both will be doing the same speed IF you have the same gearing

2manycrashes
01-02-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Phillip
i was clocked by my buddy that has a brand new radar gun and i hit 78 mph. i have a full fmf factory 4 system hrc kit and k&n air filter. i was hitting the rev limiter in 5th gear at 78. whats everybody think? wanna go faster any suggestions?

According to what I've read in the latest dirtwheels (january 2005 - page 108), what some of the people here have said isn't entirely true regarding a stock configuration. It is important to know the mods because depending on what configuration you choose to go with, you may or may not have the motor to pull it correctly in fifth gear.

The speed at which you accelerate to fifth gear will be greatly affected by your mods. Just make sure the gearing/rev box, tire changes are right for your current mods.

I highly recommend reading the article in Dirtwheels if you are serious about increasing your top speed and are willing to take a hit on the acceleration.

The honda had only slight motor work and the highest speed was
88.8 MPH with a 15/36 gearing on 22" tires.

Hope this helps.