PDA

View Full Version : 400EX intake questions

Cool Honda Man
12-24-2004, 09:04 AM
Is there anyway that i can remove my airbox fully and install a filter right on the carb? Have any of you done it. Would you put an outerwear on it? Thanks

JDiablo
12-24-2004, 09:07 AM
there is a kit for it,i think it cost like 80-120 dollars?im not sure,and yes i would most definely run a outerwear on it,i think the kit has a supplied K&N filter that you must use

black400ex
12-28-2004, 08:15 PM
Yes, ESR (eddie sanders racing) makes an air box eliminator kit for $60. Their web site is under consruction so you'll have to call.

44oEX
12-28-2004, 08:22 PM
well it probably won't put the filter right on the carb you will still have a pipe from the filter to the carb ( I think )

Rico
12-29-2004, 06:56 AM
I hope you only ride in the dunes, cuz that's the only place you can do it.

MarkyNark
12-29-2004, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Cool Honda Man
Is there anyway that i can remove my airbox fully and install a filter right on the carb? Have any of you done it. Would you put an outerwear on it? Thanks

Cool Honda Man,

Keep the air tube! If you direct mount the filter to the carb, you wont get the 'Ram Air Effect' needed for proper HP.

If you ride on the dunes, you can get an air box eliminator kit, which provides a hanger your filter and air tube. Not recommended for wet conditions.

You can also get an aluminum airbox, like you can buy from LTE (just the air box) that has no lid. You can cross shallow streams (if you cross slowly).

The nice thing about the LTE airbox is that it also provides space to relocate your battery and rectifier inside the air box. Its got a polished finish and looks trick.

Marky

Cool Honda Man
12-29-2004, 02:54 PM
The Airbox Eliminator kit is what i had in mind. Those of you that have done this mod in the past, have you noticed a power difference? I hardly ever ride streams, i spend 60% of my time at the dunes, and 40% in the mts in trail conditions. Do you just put a plastic bag over the filter when washing it? Also what is the # to Eddie Sanders racing? What is this whole deal of only being able to use this at the dunes? How much is the LTE airbox?

Thanks for the help.

44oEX
12-29-2004, 03:03 PM
the thing with only using it in the dunes is that if you have no air box you have no protection for you carb. so the first time you hit a puddle of water it will splash on the filter and right in your motor and you have just ruin a good motor. In tha dunes the is just sand. no water so you don't have to worry about it.