PDA

View Full Version : How to store a 400ex for winter???

BassGin3
12-24-2004, 09:02 AM
I was wondering how people have stored their 400ex's and how well it worked when you got back to start it up. I was planning on changing the oil right before and also emptying out all the gas from the tank and float bowl and putting the old stock tires on so i don't have flat spots in the good tires. I've heard of other things like pulling the spark plug and putting a few drops of marvel's mystery oil down into the engine and such. I'm going to be gone for 5 months. Anyone have anything that has worked for them??

the Z Man
12-24-2004, 09:06 AM
Well, the cool thing about quads is,,, You ride them all year round, so, no need to store them, Z.

JDiablo
12-24-2004, 09:10 AM
he said he is going to be gone for 5 months that sounds about right,drain the oil,gas,float bowl,clean it up real good,oil everything,do some mystery oil magic or w/e it is called,then i would put it on some kind of stand so it doesnt sit on the ground for 5 months

250rAL
12-24-2004, 11:05 AM
What about the battery? It should at least be in where it's warm if not on a maintainer.

Dumontexrider
12-24-2004, 11:19 AM
just hook up a battery charger. one that barely charges it

nosliw
12-24-2004, 11:40 AM
take spark plug out, pour a tablespoon of oil down the hole, put spark plug back in, move the killswitch over so it wont start, crank it for 5 seconds.

BassGin3
12-24-2004, 12:23 PM
Does that last idea really work?? It sounds like it would do a pretty good job coating the rings and such, then just burn off on the start up when I get back. Anyone else try this method?

Syrus
12-24-2004, 12:27 PM
This is what i do.

1)Remove all gas from tank, float bown, carb, lines, everything. (After gas sits, its looses octane and turns into varnish)

2) Change oil.

3) Remove battery. (Cold will frain the battery)

4)Take off ceet. (no real reason, just because it foam and leather, and they both will dry out after time)

5)Oil and clean everything.

6) Anything you want cleaned or worked on over the winter, take off while your storing it and work on it over the storage period.

7) Stand up against a wall. (having a quad sitting for 5 months will be bad on the suspension and tires) Believe it or not.

bulkdriverlp
12-24-2004, 02:14 PM
7) Stand up against a wall. (having a quad sitting for 5 months will be bad on the suspension and tires) Believe it or not.

how do you stand it up against a wall and not have the tires touch the ground? or the suspension have pressure on it. so when you ride ur quad all summer after each ride you stand it up. cause if you dont its bad on the suspension and tires right? anybody in the u.s. has 5 months of riding time right? some ride all winter. you lost me dude.

BassGin3
12-24-2004, 04:15 PM
I'm leaving the country in a few weeks and not coming back till June, so that's why the quad's not going to be used for the next 5 months...

I like the idea of putting it up on jack stands, or atleast taking the weight off the tires and suspension.