PDA

View Full Version : rode a 440ex for the first time

400exracer511
12-23-2004, 08:31 PM
today i rode my friend 440 that he just bought and it supposedly has tc cam, lightened flywheel, p&p, titanium valves, the whole works all built by TC and i wasnt impressed with it at all. we drag raced and it only beat my 416 (hotcam stage II, K&N, e-series slip on all built by me)by a little, it jumped ahead about 2 lengths right off the start then he didnt gain anymore....... keep in mind that he has been racing quads twice as long as me

maybe i am expecting too much but i figured a full race 440 would blow my mild 416 away by 5 or 6 lengths

what do you guys think?

sportraxkid
12-23-2004, 09:02 PM
you are either full of **** or there is something majorly wrong with the 440. what compression is yours and what is his, there is a possibility you would take him on a track but it a drag it should kill you.

TC426EX
12-23-2004, 09:16 PM
yeah, something is screwed up because that bike should be handing it to you...

Zeke
12-23-2004, 09:30 PM
he should have went with Thumper Racing...thats who im goin with this summer (i have to do summer re biulds cuz im only 16 and only time to get a job is in the summer) i will let you guys no how she runs when its summer time

400exracer511
12-23-2004, 10:17 PM
like i said i expected alot more from it and he bought it like that and im wondering if the guy who sold it to him screwed him on the deal plus there is oil around the head and that def. shouldnt happen if a motor is put together by TC. also i rode the bike and the clutch was extremely stiff and the shifting wansnt smooth at all

we only dragged once across a field and didnt really have anyone starting us or anything like that so maybe i just got lucky

i am afraid he got screwed cause of the oil i saw around the head plus why would a full race motor have a stock header (i dont think i mentioned that)

QuAdEr 317
12-23-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by 400exracer511
like i said i expected alot more from it and he bought it like that and im wondering if the guy who sold it to him screwed him on the deal plus there is oil around the head and that def. shouldnt happen if a motor is put together by TC. also i rode the bike and the clutch was extremely stiff and the shifting wansnt smooth at all

we only dragged once across a field and didnt really have anyone starting us or anything like that so maybe i just got lucky

i am afraid he got screwed cause of the oil i saw around the head plus why would a full race motor have a stock header (i dont think i mentioned that)

sounds funny to me i think ur buddy got beat i never heard of ne1 with a 440 n a stock header

400exracer511
12-23-2004, 10:25 PM
yeah he is selling the motor and putting a crf 450 motor in it anyway ill try to get him to take it apart before he gets rid of it just to see what is in there

ZSK
12-24-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by QuAdEr 317
sounds funny to me i think ur buddy got beat i never heard of ne1 with a 440 n a stock header

I ran mine with a stocker header for about 6 months. Couldn't afford anything better until now. We'll see what happens.

TC426EX
12-24-2004, 11:23 AM
If it was built by TC for real then it is possible that he is still using the stock header on it. ONLY if he is using the TC pipe with it. The TC shorty pipe uses the stock header with 5-6 inches sawed off of it and works quite well. If he is using a stock header and not the TC pipe, then something is wrong...

You should be able to tell pretty easy if the motor has all that he says it has. The cam will be engraved with TC on it and also which cam it is. If it is ported and polished, that will be evident real quick as well when you look in the intake ports. The Ti. valves will be easy to spot as well, and the piston should be domed. You have to take the top end apart anyway to fix the head gasket, so do a thorough inspection. Also, CHECK THE HEAD STUDS...

JRDrider22
12-24-2004, 12:10 PM
its either you both suck, or something is incredibly wrong. this picture just doesnt sound right at all.

400exr
12-24-2004, 02:37 PM
With oil around the head it sounds like it might even have a leaky head gasket, that would rob tons of power!!! and the stock header is probally restricting it pretty badly.

smith_400ex_213
12-24-2004, 08:43 PM
was his head ported adn polished

TC426EX
12-24-2004, 08:49 PM
And Oh yeah... believe me I know... OIL AROUND THE HEAD GASKET MEANS THAT IT IS BLOWN!!! Disassemble it immediately, get a new head gasket, and inspect the head studs. If they are stock, Im sorry but your friend HAS to make the investment of getting oversize head studs from East Coast ATV. If not, this problem will persist over and over again on a rapid and regular basis. Your friend sounds like he needs a good full exhaust too to help out since as someone mentioned earlier it may be choked up pretty bad contributing to the problem...

K_Fulk
12-25-2004, 10:08 PM
He either got screwed or there are other variables.

This time of the year there is bound to be some tire slippage, maybe his tires arent that great and he is spinning a lot more, maybe his clutch is slipping? The head gasket being bad will cause it not to run that great.

Deffinatley tear that thing down and see if it has everything its supposed to have. While you fixing the headgasket.

I know my 426 tc motor would walk all over my buddies 416. And he had just about as much done to it as mine. It proved it on the dyno when we had them done too.

400exracer511
12-25-2004, 11:01 PM
im not sure if the head is ported and polished but he does have the tc pipe.

like i said we only raced once so its possible that i got lucky but still when i rode it it had more power than my 416 but it should have had a LOT more. ill get him to tear it down and see whats inside there

2002Honda400ex
10-17-2005, 05:52 PM
Your buddies 440ex may have a 440 kit in it but that may be all it has in it. It jumped out front like a 440 with just a kit in it, but if you dont do it all like valves valve springs little things like that, then it wont get the full effect when drag racing.