PDA

View Full Version : handlebar vibration

srooney_12
12-23-2004, 03:49 PM
Is there any cheap mod that you can do to take out some of the vibration in the handlebars and foot pegs

nosliw
12-23-2004, 04:41 PM
pumping handlebars with silicone will help

JR3
12-23-2004, 05:00 PM
i heard if u put sand in ur handle bars it helps with vibration i dunnom if its true

srooney_12
12-23-2004, 05:17 PM
will you be able to tell a big difference by pumping them full of silicone

nosliw
12-23-2004, 05:19 PM
not real big but you will notice it. worth doing

TORO1968
12-23-2004, 05:19 PM
The addition of any sort of filler/weight to the handlebars will alter its natural frequency in such a way that vibrations normally felt throughout the rpm range wouldn't appear until you got up into speeds well above what the engine is capable of. So yes, in essence, filling the handlebars with sand, silicone, or anything for that matter will help. The heavier the filler material, the better though. You also want the majority of the weight at the ends of the bars for it to be most effective.

I recommend checking out Fasst Co's brass handlebar inserts... I have a set on my 400, and actually did a seinor engineering project that involved the study of these. Believe me, they work well... I have the data and a full report to back it up...

An anti-vibe steering stem would help a bunch too. Isolating the handlebars from the steering stem through rubber mounts works very well...

I'm actually working on some things for minimizing footpeg vibration...we'll see what I come up with LOL.

Any questions, just ask! :)

-Jordan