PDA

View Full Version : Tire help

pbarr86
04-23-2002, 02:32 PM
OK, I'm a newbie with a stock 2001 300ex and after my last ride I can hear what sounds like a few small rocks inside one of the rear tires bouncing around. My question is how hard is it to take a tire off the rim and put it back on, is there anything special I need to do? Also, what would be a decent replacement tire that will fit on the stock rims? (I, like most, am not made of money so an affordable tire that isn't total crap would be nice) How about them Razzors?

Any help would be great,

Paul

04-23-2002, 02:39 PM
It's not rocks,,it's the sealer they used to mount the tires inside,,,good luck bustin the tire off,,,it's not easy..

pbarr86
04-23-2002, 04:54 PM
The reason I said it may be rocks is because I hadn't heard it before my last ride and after my last ride I had to pick some pea sized rocks out from between the rim and tire and just figured a few of them may have worked their way in there.

Paul

Ex'r Marlin
04-23-2002, 08:35 PM
We may be wrong, it just might be rocks...... But then I would think you would have lost a lot of air in your tires and possibly broke your bead around your rim to allow rocks in. A lot of us here have experienced the same "rocks in my tires???" theory. Most of the time, it is exactly what Rico said.

My 2 cents, keep riding with them "rocks" in there until you need new tires. I don't forecast you having any problems riding with them that way. Otherwise, if you beg to differ, I recommend having someone that knows how to remove the tires off your rims. It is not something for a beginner to tackle.

If you need new tires, you need to ask yourself what kind of riding you do and terrain, tell us, and then we might have some advise on tires.

Good luck!

LilGuyOn400ex
04-23-2002, 09:08 PM
i have it in my stock tires its lil rubber balls rollin around in there that wear off on the inside of ur tires mine has done it for a long long time

pbarr86
04-24-2002, 06:32 AM
Sounds good, I really wasn't ready to get new tires yet anyway. Plus seeing how a you are saying from experience it's little bit of sealer chunks thats good enough for me.

And thanks for the info about NOT taking the tires off myself, my friends brother owns a garage so I'll just get him to do it when I'm ready for those new tires.

Thanks for the info,
Paul

hangman
04-24-2002, 09:05 AM
Be sure and take it somewhere where they have experience on atv tires. Most small garages don't deal with them that much. It's not uncommon for someone who doesn't know what they're doing to shred your sidewall or damage your wheel. Breaking the bead loose on an atv tire is much more difficult than your average auto tire because the tires are much softer.

pbarr86
04-24-2002, 12:33 PM
Thanks Hangman, I hope he won't screw it up he has two 4-wheelers of his own (a Raptor and what I think he called Quadzilla it's an old Suzuki 500, whatever it is it blows his Raptor away) Anyway like I said before I'm new to this so I don't have all the lingo down.

If anyone could suggest some tires (and size) to put on my stock rims that would be great. Since there aren't any sand dunes around me I do the trails, I also like jumping a bit I'm NOT hitting any 50' tabletops or anything close to that but my kids think I'm cool : )

Thanks again,
Paul