PDA

View Full Version : ball joints/ bushings ?

maxamillion
12-23-2004, 09:21 AM
when im kneeling next to the front wheel of my 400ex I can pull the top of the tire towards me and it moves about 1/4in. Im thinkin this might be a combination of slightly worn balljoints and bushings. Is this anything to worry about? It does this on both front wheels. I dont really want to fork out the cash for new a-arms since the stock balljoints arent replaceable.

thanks

nosliw
12-23-2004, 10:37 AM
we were looking at that on my nephews '86 yz80, didnt think anything of it so we went riding. we were going down this farm road at like 30 when his right rear tire fell off. it had busted the axle at the hub. so yea if yours does it i would take it all apart and check it out.

hondatv
12-23-2004, 12:30 PM
Is them movement in the ball joints or wheel bearing? Either way they need to be replaced soon.

maxamillion
12-23-2004, 02:33 PM
well i just got done taking the front wheels off. On one side of my quad the bushings seem fine, its hard to tell but it looks like the play is coming from the balljoints. On the other side, one bushing in the upper a-arm has some play as well as the ball joints. Bearings are fine on both sides. Should i be saving up for some Burgards?