PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried this?

Rich250RRacer
12-22-2004, 10:20 PM
In the process of rebuilding a 91 CR250 motor for someone, I got to thinking about a set-up that I heard microsprint racers use.
What most 250R owners don't know is that the 85-89 ATC/TRX 250R motor was designed at about the same time and is based on the 85-91 CR 250 motor. The 85-86 250r crank uses the same rod as the CR and is the same stroke. Microsprint racers were taking 86-91 CR cylinders and using them on 250R bottom ends, since they are a direct bolt on when used with a CR piston. They are, of course, eliminating the power valve set-up since there is no way to drive the system. This looks to be a relatively easy mod since the valve guides can either be welded or epoxied. Longer rear cylinder studs would be required, and there may be some re-engineering needed on the exhaust flange. These CR motors were very potent with the later models producing 51-53 horsepower in stock form. Has anyone tried this yet? If so, what kind of power did it produce and how did it perform overall?

zedicus00
12-23-2004, 07:22 AM
its been dun. i heard of one guy hooking the power valve up to a manual lever also it does help, and i think the trx exhaust will fit on the cr flange the cr flange is a lil smaller so u will hafta add sum silicone. and dont expect 50 horse outa it either.

velocityatv
12-23-2004, 08:37 PM
I've seen one of them at the races here in Iowa. We talked a little, he had Mum's racing do it. He said it made great power, but I bet a well built R motor would be be just as good.

beerock
12-23-2004, 10:09 PM
there are too many good porters and aftermarket cylinders out there to go through that

JTRtrx250r
12-24-2004, 08:24 AM
Ive seen a few also, nothing special other than being diffrent, as a matter of fact, I knew ESR did micros well before atvs:rolleyes: :D

beerock
12-24-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
Ive seen a few also, nothing special other than being diffrent, as a matter of fact, I knew ESR did micros well before atvs:rolleyes: :D

yea they ran trx250r motors in the micro sprints and finally started making stuff for the atv's