PDA

View Full Version : Stock Bearing Carrier??

Thump_It
12-22-2004, 09:29 PM
If i'm going to be doing MX, dune and freestyle riding, should i get an aftermarket bearing carrier as soon as possible or does the stock one hold up decently? If a bearing carrier fails, what problems can occur? Thanks for the help.

hondaracer305
12-22-2004, 10:40 PM
I would only worry about it if your gonna be riding in real muddy conditions. other than that it should hold up. Mine failed on my 300ex so we got one off ebay.problems that can occur are: bored out bearing seat, worn seals, may grind down axle if in severe case (like mine). i cant think of much other problems, but its mosty internal, i had some external damage, like the bearing carrier broke off and fell out, it also grinded down part of my sprocket, but nothing major.

beak7707
12-23-2004, 11:51 AM
I always run the stocker until the bearings go bad. Then instead of putting bearings in it, I just buy a double row carrier. You might as well get the good out of the stock one.

Jersey450R
12-23-2004, 11:53 AM
how long do you think the stock bearings last?

04trx450R
12-23-2004, 02:12 PM
The stock carrier on the 450 should be fine,, It already has double bearings on the sprocket side,,, I have had mine since feb. and the bearings are still good and I run in trails which are often wet and muddy,,, I took the carrier out to grease everything and was suprised by just how well it is sealed, there was no dirt in it at all

MD450r
12-23-2004, 02:44 PM
Ive had my quad since febuary. I ride trails and a mx track once and a while. When i put my axle in a month ago the bearings were pretty rough feeling so i replaced them and the seals. The carrier wasint cracked any where so thats why i just reused it instead of going aftermarket.