PDA

View Full Version : Cold Start Loud Motor

Wayne64SS
12-22-2004, 08:33 PM
I just fired up my quad which has been sitting outside in the 20deg and below weather for a week and a half. You know how these motors are louder than most and make an almost knocking sound while running normally? Well this sounded like that but ALOT louder. It seemed to gradually get better as the engine warmed up and the quad didnt seem to be burning oil? Do these things have cold start up knock like piston slap??? ANy help would be appretiated. DO you think its maybe just loud cause the oil has been in the bottom of the motor and nothing was lubed when started??? It didnt go away right away either kind of gradually quieted down ..... booooo

Thump_It
12-22-2004, 09:07 PM
Could be from the metal in the motor expanding because of the heat....just a thought. :cool:

Wayne64SS
12-23-2004, 06:27 AM
somebody on hre has to be able to relate!?!?!??!

Jersey450R
12-23-2004, 06:52 AM
dude i know what you mean, mine does the same thing
Answer...Pull in your clutch and it goes away. so what i do is put a really thick strong rubberband around the lever and grip when its warming up. you may want to even put the quad in 1st gear while you have the lever set up pulled in. its what i do.

Wayne64SS
12-23-2004, 07:14 AM
really!?!?!?!? it goes away when the clutch is pulled in??? i'll have to check it out. thanks for the tip. If it goes away when the clutch is in then what the hell is the noise??? weird. anyway is it harmful in any way?? im wondering if i shoudl buy an exteneded warranty LoL

Jersey450R
12-23-2004, 09:58 AM
Wayne, let me know if it works.

Wayne64SS
12-23-2004, 01:09 PM
i dont know man it wasnt making any loud noise today when i fired it but its way warmer out today than yesterday. Maybe it was just from being so damn cold???? Yuck i dont like thinkin about it. On the other hand i just got my new vortex ignition installed i cant wait to actually ride it and see what its like rather than putzin around the parking lot with it.

1fastR
12-23-2004, 01:25 PM
mine makes alot of noise also, I just put a new cam in a couple weeks ago so I'm going to re-ck my valves to make sure its not that.

450 Racer R
12-23-2004, 01:35 PM
mine's real loud when I start it up....

Curless #32
12-23-2004, 02:25 PM
I raced in Indian last weekend and had to pit outside, the temp was like 15 degrees. My engine makes a good bit of noise also. I have never tried the clutch lever but most cars today do the same thing. The reason is piston slap, the piston is way small for the cylinder and it takes time to expand. Don't beat on her until she fully warms up and you should have no problems.;)

Wayne64SS
12-23-2004, 04:37 PM
it does nothing but idle til its warm i cant afford to put a motor in it. LoL i'll take care of it as best i can and hope for the best.

lukester720
12-24-2004, 03:06 AM
What weight oil are you running? You should run a thinner weight oil through the colder months so it pumps through the engine faster.