PDA

View Full Version : Is racing worth it??

hondardr4life
12-22-2004, 05:49 PM
I am 14 and have a 98 300ex with the mods in my signature. Is it worth buying a few different parts and starting to race. I would just race around where I live, there are a few different tracks. I don't know if I would race MX or harescrambles. But if it turned out that I likes racing, how hard would it be to to get sponsered, ect... And yes, I do have skills. I have ridden on a few tracks, and have kept up pretty good with everyone else. And that was when I just had a pipe.

AtvMxRider
12-22-2004, 06:33 PM
Just do what makes you happy. try it and see. Getting sponsors will only get you discounts don't count on get any money. Both my kids raced all year and I did it all out of my own pocket:ermm: .

hondardr4life
12-22-2004, 06:39 PM
Does the maintenence costs add up? I dont wanna make my quad into a POS by racing.

jdwxv3
12-22-2004, 06:41 PM
If you are fast you will turn your quad into a POS if you dont maintain it meticulously. The costs really ad up.

AtvMxRider
12-22-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by hondardr4life
Does the maintenence costs add up? I dont wanna make my quad into a POS by racing.

Then you had better find something else to do.

UbeenSmoked
12-22-2004, 07:56 PM
trying ot get sponsored is pretty easy after u get a resume wrote up and start sending them out. and yes racing is well worht the money, u meet so many great people and just make friends its great. as far as maintaing ur quad keep on top of it and its not hard, but if u do race u will break something every or every other race, but i think it well worth the money

Matt

NEPA250R
12-22-2004, 09:23 PM
I would suggest at least trying it out. Yes, it does get expensive, but maintaining your quad should be a high priorty if you are racing it. Also, don't expect to finish 1st place for your first race(hope for it, but don't expect it). As far as getting sponsors, race often, keep a good attitude, be respectful and professional, and write a good resume. Remember, you are representing your sponsors and their products in exchange for their support, so there is some work involved into keeping that support.

geogeorge
12-22-2004, 09:29 PM

you ride a 6 year old honda. you mean its not already a POS? most people will trun them in to that just play riding over that time frame.

Give race a try and see what you like. I do harescrambles and I don't find it all tht costly. I race a stock class so I don't have to out lay on after markedt parts.

good luck.

markk
12-22-2004, 10:24 PM

Maintenece does add up really quick, If u dont have a steady job, or parents that will help u out, maintaiing your quad will be hard.
I figgure on set of brake pads a race, 30$, oil change/filter 18$, And when u clean it, just check eveything over by hand, and if u notice wear and tear, start saving to replace that item asap.
IF your serious into mantience your quad should hold up pretty well. 300's are bulletproof.

Good luck

hondardr4life
12-23-2004, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by geogeorge
you ride a 6 year old honda. you mean its not already a POS? most people will trun them in to that just play riding over that time frame.

Well I have only owned it for about 6months. The kid who had it before was a sissy. He was afraid to climb hills, ect.. so it was never rolled. I have rolled it twice already,lol. As far as the engine goes, I just tore it down to put in a 330 and the cylinder wall was as good as new.

jdwxv3
12-23-2004, 05:19 AM
I never really worried about my honda motors much. I used to own a 300ex and you need to watch the frame(mine broke in about 7 places but I was 200ibs then) also the front shocks on mine and a few other peoples sheared off. So just make sure you really keep an eye on your frame and shocks, check the bearings on the regular, change the oil, tighten EVERYTHING then tighten it again, lube the chain, keep and eye on the sporkets, check the swingarm for cracks, dont run wheel spacers, and check the brake pads. That is about it. Good luck and give it a try you could be the next Bill Ballance who knows!

ILGNCC400EX
12-24-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by markk
Maintenece does add up really quick, If u dont have a steady job, or parents that will help u out, maintaiing your quad will be hard.
I figgure on set of brake pads a race, 30$, oil change/filter 18$, And when u clean it, just check eveything over by hand, and if u notice wear and tear, start saving to replace that item asap.
IF your serious into mantience your quad should hold up pretty well. 300's are bulletproof.

Good luck yep take it from mark you got to stay on top of things.or you will end up puttin oil in dearing a race:D aint that right markee

markk
12-25-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by ILGNCC400EX
yep take it from mark you got to stay on top of things.or you will end up puttin oil in dearing a race:D aint that right markee

OIL pitting aint a thing! looks kinda like a two-stroke, with a little grunt behind it!

AINT no CHIT, I was always TRY to stay on top of my quad.
Hey danno, I'm getting ready to slap a new piston in-er in a few.
Merryx-mas, I'm need to swing by somtime this week!

Racing is worth it, Just try to keep up on your 4-wheeler!

Kilabanshee
12-25-2004, 10:59 AM
I'de say racing is worth every penny. Last year I raced d6 had tons of flat tires, broken chains ect it was all worth it! When you start you will have to get an a.m.a card 40$ and a district racing card which is around 10-15. Since you live in PA most likely you would be racing district 6-7. What do you plan on racing cross country or moto cross?

Out_Sider
12-26-2004, 01:35 PM
if you're racing mx, u better make sure the limit for 300ex's isnt 300cc's because if they find out you're running a 330 you're gonna get in SERIOUS chit.

250xridamatt
12-28-2004, 09:57 PM
WORD on watching the frame and shocks. Cracked and bent frame, snapped in half stock shock.

ckasper18
01-04-2005, 01:59 PM
The thrill of victory is awesome there is no drug you can take better then the competitive feeling you get out of racing.Yes it costs money but what doesnt cost money.Its a great family sport and all the familys around the track is better than going to your family reunion.My daughter races a 400ex and we spend every weekend together how many 14 year old daughters spend every weekend with there daddy PRICELESS.

ckasper18
01-04-2005, 02:35 PM
Dont let these guys scare you .You can go racing and have fun without all the expensive costs.If your fast and ride the wheels off your quad then it can get pricey no more pricey than trail riding.You have a 330 kit in there if you are competitive and walking away from everyone slow down.All they can do is disqualify you.If you are fast and kicking some tail then move up to the next class and use the first couple of years as a learning curve.If you are over the cc limit once a cheater always a cheater but one or two races in that class wont hurt.I sponsor a kid who is riding my daughters old 300ex and he also ride the 4 stroke C class and kicked butt and now rides the 300ex in the B class and finishes in the top 10.He rides the B class so he can learn how to go faster and study the lines the faster racers use.Check it out race 1 tine and you will be hooked no turning back then..Chris

ckasper18
01-04-2005, 02:35 PM
Dont let these guys scare you .You can go racing and have fun without all the expensive costs.If your fast and ride the wheels off your quad then it can get pricey no more pricey than trail riding.You have a 330 kit in there if you are competitive and walking away from everyone slow down.All they can do is disqualify you.If you are fast and kicking some tail then move up to the next class and use the first couple of years as a learning curve.If you are over the cc limit once a cheater always a cheater but one or two races in that class wont hurt.I sponsor a kid who is riding my daughters old 300ex and he also ride the 4 stroke C class and kicked butt and now rides the 300ex in the B class and finishes in the top 10.He rides the B class so he can learn how to go faster and study the lines the faster racers use.Check it out race 1 tine and you will be hooked no turning back then..Chris

markk
01-05-2005, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by ckasper18

I 2nd this guy!!!!! Learn from people in your own class, Sandbaggers are not looked highly upon. I have only won one local race in b-class, and rarley ever finish higher than 5th place, But i will be running in a-class next season to better my skill level.

Vtr_Racing
01-05-2005, 10:28 PM
Racing is awesome. Keep it into perspective and you will have lots of enjoyment. As with any type of riding, if you dont stay on top of the maintenance, it will cost alot more later.....

Brown450R
01-05-2005, 11:04 PM
You can race as cheaply or expensively as you want. My quad is easily worth twice as much as my car, which is kind of crazy, but it is worth every penny. There is something about the whole quad racing scene that is just amazing to be a part of. I have met some of the nicest people I have ever known through quad racing. It really is priceless, but you can experience it without going broke too. Just go to the races and see for yourself.

jdwxv3
01-06-2005, 05:08 AM
I dont think anyone is trying to scare him. I am just a realist. No matter how a person looks at it if you are fast you will spend lots of money. And you will tear a lot of stuff up. But at the track you do meet tons of awesome people that you retain friendships with that end up going much deeper than racing. So if you wanna race, race I did. Am I broke most of the time because of it? yes at least for the time being. But I have met a lot of great peolpe and I would not take it back for any amont of $$$$.

Go ahead and give it a shot just keep on top of your machine it will save you $$$ in the long run

dirtmomma
01-06-2005, 08:43 AM
Well beings how you are just starting out, I would say the 1st season could go good w/o much maintance BUT like what happened w/ us after you get faster & more aggressive the costs start adding up EVERY week LOL

My son started out on a TRX90, maintenance...............hardly none, he moved to an LT80..........maintenance same as above, moved to a blaster, well we had to throw $$ into it cuz it was bought in a box of parts, but as for maintenance we had AWESOME luck w/ it & it held up good, well now he's racing mine & he's now running against mainly all adults & this year the maintenance is KILLING us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is hammering my poor quad but he's riding the chit outta it :D
The more years he races the more aggressive he gets, the MORE maintenance & parts too be bought, dang we will REALLY be broke next season :) We got a little lucky this year & he was givin a FREE ride on a YFZ but the deal was if he breaks it he buys it well he dented a couple rims but thankfully the OWNER did all the major damage ;) THANKS BILL HEHEE :)

But I say if your parents support you & you can work & helpout also then try it out & KEEP UP ON THE MAINTENANCE don't let it lag behind or thenyou will spend twice as much :)