PDA

View Full Version : lightened flywheel results

cals400ex
12-22-2004, 04:20 PM
i had a flywheel lightened by GT Thunder. the cost was $50. his turn around time was really good. i bet he didn't have it a week. but, there is shipping from me to him and from him back to me. i would gladly do business with laz again.

i put on the lightened flywheel, added one of his velocity stacks in the air box lid, and went up 2 sizes on the mainjet at the same time. i started the bike. some claim the bike is a bit harder to start than normal. i really didn't notice this, if it is even true. it feels like the bike revs a bit quicker in the lower gears. when getting in the upper gears, my power didn't fade off like it use to with taller gearing. so, it feels really good. now, it was freezing out so i don't know if it felt fast because i was so numb or if the flywheel/velocity stack really helped. the bike really doesn't stall out much easier. i noticed i killed it once, but everyone does that here and there. put it this way, after putting on my sparks clutch the bike stalled a lot easier than the flywheel made it. so far, i am pleased. it is currently below 20 degrees so i am not doing much riding. once it gets a bit warmer i can do more messing around and racing my buddy to see if it runs a bit quicker, like it feels.

nosliw
12-22-2004, 04:25 PM
so it was worth the $50?

Rico
12-22-2004, 05:06 PM
Yes it's worth the $50 I think, mines lightened also.

The velocity stack makes a nice difference also if your used to running a sealed airbox lid. I only had to go up 1 size on the main but that's on a stock carb, don't know about the FCR..

TC426EX
12-22-2004, 09:48 PM
I agree... My flywheel is lightened too, and I think it was worth it... Unfortunately its 20 below here too in OH and the Lake effect we get here has dumped about 15 inches in the last couple days...

frosti108
12-23-2004, 12:00 AM
hey im curious what parts of the flywheel does he grind out to lighten it?

cals400ex
12-23-2004, 12:26 AM
here is a link that shows a lightened one.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=125893&highlight=lightened+flywheel

to me, it looks like this one had more removed than mine does. but it is hard to see in the pic. you can see the middle rib on the flywheel is higher than on the left and on the right. this was all the same height before it was lightened.

from what i have noticed (the one time i have drove it yet), it seems like it was worth the price. like i said, i was so dang cold it was hard to tell though.

i wonder what would happen if it was lightened more?

by the way, i went up two sizes because of the velocity stack and because of the cold dense air.

bdrue
12-23-2004, 09:26 AM
does the lightened flywheel have any idling problems?

UglyMotha™
12-23-2004, 11:26 AM
from what i've seen mine is lightened quite abit more than gt thunders, i figure since his is more of a woods application where as mine is probably more geared towards mx, they even turned down the back of mine, i've never had any starting problems, i don't see why you would, i do have ideling issues, she just has never wanted to idle since i had it done, but all in all it was worth every penny and i'd do it again