PMB 108
1911 Foothill Blvd
La Verne, CA 91750

DATE:
April 27, 2002, Glamis, CA

HEADLINE:
ISDRA Users Hold End-of-Season Dune Cleanup

BODY:
American Sand Association member and Placentia CA resident Steve Brooks is organizing the final mini-cleanup of the 2001-02 Glamis duning season. The cleanup will be held on Saturday, April 27, 2002 from 9am till 1 pm, with barbecued hot dogs and sodas provided with each bag filled. Volunteers are asked to meet at the base of Competition Hill in the North Dunes area. The ASA encourages all of its members to participate in the cleanup. “It’s important to all of us to show that we care for the environment and keep the area clean and safe” says Jerry Seaver, ASA President and Phoenix resident.

Comp Hill through the years has traditionally been a nighttime gathering place for duners to “show their stuff” and admire each other’s dune-climbing machines. A small segment of the dune population, as in the general population, are just litterbugs and show no respect for the land. Brooks said that the duners that really care about our favorite dune places want them to be totally clean again, pristine again! He also hopes that the area will stay clean for the whole off-season.

Steve Brooks started the mini cleans during Labor Day 2000. He says, “My wife (Cathy) and I went to Glamis that weekend, considered the beginning of the season. We crested the top of Oldsmobile Hill and paused...the sight of the trash at bottom of Olds was terrible... We duned back to camp to get trash bags.”

"As I was picking up trash, I thought what would happen if we could just get 10, 20, or even 50 duners to help us. The 9 bags of trash we picked up in 3 hours would multiply to 200 bags ... Mini-Cleanups were born." Steve's friend Doug Dixon, Editor of Sand Sports Magazine, has been involved with the cleanups from the start as well. Doug explained, "As a life-long visitor to Glamis, it really bothers me to see that a few uncaring people leave their trash behind. It should be common sense that littering our dunes is not acceptable, but until all dunes users understand that, we will continue to organize these events to keep the dunes clean."

Mini-cleanups are held almost every month throughout the duning season. There have been as many as 250 cleaners and as few as 15. The mini-cleanups usually encompass a small area that is intensively cleaned by the group as opposed to the very large, once-a-year cleanups that cover huge areas with thousands of volunteers.

Of course, most duners and their families pick up their areas. A side-effect of the mini-cleanup is to meet like-minded, friendly dune cleaners. For more information, you can visit Steve’s information site at http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/glamisdunersforcleandunes

About the American Sand Association
The American Sand Association is a grass-roots, non-profit organization of approximately 20,000 members dedicated to preserving the use of public lands for sand-sport enthusiasts’ use, improving OHV safety and promoting responsible land use. Some of the local sand-sport areas include the Imperial Sand Dunes, Pismo Beach and Dumont Dunes in California, Sand Mountain in Nevada and Hotwell Dunes in Arizona. The ASA is all-volunteer and has no paid staff and relies on the financial support of sand-sport enthusiasts and small businesses. Most of the members are family-oriented, and have a significant financial investment in the sport. Additional information can be found on our web site at http://www.americansandassociation.org.