PDA

View Full Version : New sound restrictions for ATV Pro racing

Quad12
12-21-2004, 04:34 PM
December 21, f2004 – The ATVA has announced that a 102-decibel sound limit will be enforced on Pro racing machines during the 2005 Motocross Grand National Championship series.

The series kicks off February 5-6 at Glen Helen Raceway in San Bernardino, California.

“Sound is one of the biggest challenges facing ATVs, and we need to find a way to make it cool to be quiet," says ATVA Director Doug Morris. "What better way than to start with our Pro riders."

Beginning at Glen Helen Raceway, all Pro ATVs must pass a 102db sound limit. The referee will conduct the test, and also be paying attention for any Pro-Am or amateur class ATV that is objectionably loud. Warnings will be issued as necessary.

Holding the Pro class to a 102db sound limit for 2005 is just the start, Morris says. A sound limit will be established for all classes in 2006.

Morris advises Pro racers to be sure any pipes they buy meet the new sound requirements.

400grl
12-21-2004, 08:28 PM
UH OH!!!:o :eek2: :chinese:

Rico
12-22-2004, 06:23 AM
Glad to see it. Their enforcing it in GNCC racing and they should in GNC racing also.

Looks like them TC Racing pipes are finally going to go away. Sparks won't be to far behind him...:eek2:

Sandsjbyz22
12-22-2004, 06:29 AM
You might as well say no aftermarket pipe is going to pass that, except for a few select quiet series.

Rico
12-22-2004, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Sandsjbyz22
You might as well say no aftermarket pipe is going to pass that, except for a few select quiet series.

MY powerbong header and HMF with Quiet Core blew right at 100 db at my last sound check.. I'll be glad to see them TC pipes that blow 130 at idle, finally be outlawed.:scary:

Flynbryan19
12-22-2004, 07:15 AM
Its not hard to pass a 102db limit. 75% of all the aftermarket dirtbike exhaust pass this no problem. Most of the pipe builders for atv racing are just lazy, and know that they don't have to pass the db limits.... I think its good. I find pipes like the Duncan and Sparks pipes obnoxious as well.:rolleyes: Theres no reason for it. You can reach just as good of hp numbers without rattling everyones eardrums inside of thier own helmets.

Bart
12-22-2004, 09:33 AM
Why not give the exhaust manufactures some time to develop quieter systems BEFORE implementing and enforcing the 102dB limit?

I find it funny that HMF is already advertising a new QRS exhaust on this website for 100dB (or less) and it is not available for sale yet.

Flynbryan19
12-22-2004, 10:01 AM
How long now has the db rule been in affect for public riding areas? Several years now.... How long has it been in affect for the AMA? Very shortly after thumpers took off, so that would be about 99-00'? In fact many local district racing sanctions have the db rule in affect for several years as well..... Don't tell me they haven't known. They just don't care. And now that they are finally being cracked down on everyone is crying the blues. Heck, many of the aftermarket exhaust that do pass mx riders hack them down to 6"-8" long, because they "look cool". What real benefit is the shortened exhaust causing? I just don't buy it. Its past time for these guys to do something about it, and I think its good. They should.

Now if we can get a professional/ accurate system established.....that'll be another story. ;) And for the average joe/local district races, unless your just obnoxioulsy loud it will probably be rarely enforced anyway.

woodside83
12-22-2004, 01:26 PM
dose any body now the dbs on just a regular hmf pipe

jason14x
12-22-2004, 02:55 PM
Guys for those of you who are *****ing about having time....you do! You have a whole year! And the Decibel limit has actually been in effect for a LOT longer than when Four strokes became popular...the ATVA just didnt enforce it!

As far as the pipes there are a quite a few pipes out there by MANY of the aftermarket companies that make under 102 db's! All the Pipe manufactureers saw this coming........its the #1 reason a lot of our riding ares have been disappearing!

I think this was the right way to go. If we want to be able to keep riding we are gonna have to concede some to the powers that be. With the announcement out of Washougal last year and several tracks up here in the Northeast having to deal with it I knew it was coming.

Hey I like a nice sounding bike as much as anybody but one mans music is another mans annoying noise......hey I know a lot of you like that Thumping bass In your car ..... I personally think it sounds like ****! But to each there own!!!

I'd rather be a little quiter........hell a LOT quieter and be able to ride than Not ride!!

Jason

UbeenSmoked
12-22-2004, 08:06 PM
Not to rattle anyone boat, but i somewut agree with everybody. i think the sound limit shouldnt matter on the track. for example look at Nascar, Drag Racing u dont see them running SD limit on everyone so i dont see the y. as far as the parks getting closed maybe a pecent has to do with sound but that not totaly y they closed the riding areas its cause of stupid people who dont know how to obide by the rules, so wut im saying is they arnt closing down Drag Racing tracks cause of sound or they dont close down ur street cause a truck or car is running straight headers on there vehicle. Thats just my .02 worth

Matt

tprender
12-22-2004, 09:22 PM
It doen't happen to other's. Fro example, Colorado Springs, Co. If you have a street bike and it has any after market exhaust you will be given a ticket. There are a few other cities that have the same law. In my area a local school district built a new HS and it now has a lighted football field. The local goverment is meeting now to pass a law saying that they can't have night games because of the noise from the game's next year. I sat in a court room last year as an MX track was shut down because of noise by the neibertors complaining. Guess who won?
If you ride one time a year on the ground, you will not have many problems with sound. If you do it very often you will get complaints, like a mx track racing once a month and pratice all of the time. I also, found out that the term "grandfather" does not apply to sound.

mxraptor71
12-22-2004, 10:30 PM
is this only going to be enforced for pros for the 2005 mx season?

tprender
12-23-2004, 06:39 AM
Didn't you read the 1st post?

bradley300
12-23-2004, 08:53 AM
it will be enforced in the pro class for the first season, and any ametuer with an exhaust that is just obnoixious will be warned, 2006 the gnc's will be under total enforcment of a db limit.

the gncc guys had a list of pipes that had trouble passing the 102 limit, didnt say they all failed, but of the pipes there, these seemed to have the most trouble. off the top of my head are a few-
sparks
tc racing
big gun (race)
bill ballance HMF
HMF (w/ no quiet core)
add to te list if you think of more

there were a few others maybe LRD was one. if you have one of these exhaust, i suggest rigging a quiet core on to it or carrying extra packing.

Sandsjbyz22
12-23-2004, 10:12 AM
I know my Hybrid with the powerbomb header and titanium4 exhaust won't make that limit. And no I didn't cut it down. Is anyone making an exhaust for the hybrids that will pass, without having to hack it up to make it fit?

CTmxyfz
12-23-2004, 01:18 PM
Cut down pipes in MX are usually for people not F***king them up by getting rear ended. I hope my HMF BB carbon fiber pipe passes. I think that it sucks in the Open MX world, but thats my opinion. Don't get on my case for it. If i have to sell my HMF for something else, ill be quite mad. we are going in a direction where we will all sound the same. I think the quiter pipes suck also. Looks like ill be looking into an HMF QRSeries pipe for a new yfz we are picking up.:(

hareracer
12-27-2004, 02:01 PM
Noise is not the issue most the time. Its quads in general. You watch once they get the noise levels down it will be something else, or they will try to lower them further. The fact of the matter is a lot of people just don't like quads. Most of these people have never been on one or even around one. Infact i know some people that are agianst quads and everything that goes with them. But they don't miss a NASCAR race. So I don't think noise has anything to do with it. Its just that thats what is working on getting these ATV parks and races shut down so they're going to use it.

AndreS
12-27-2004, 11:27 PM
1st- most of the tracks i ride at already have a 98 or 99 db limit.

2nd- the oregon dunes here has some of the most stringent sound restrictions in the country- 93 db at 20" from the tailpipe exit, at a 45 degree angle to the exhaust flow. they ticket just about any thumper with aftermarket exhaust now. (funny how most 2-strokes pass w/o problems)

hareracer- you're more right than most people want to admit.

jason14x
12-28-2004, 08:17 AM
Guys I found this on A T V Scene. I like the way this guy puts it and other than what I have said I think you should realize hes right....fighting the powers that be costs $$$$$ and if it comes down to ...fight to keep my park open or sell to the develpoer who offered me a 1 Mil for my land....... Shut Up and Start B Dealing with this like grown ups..or at least mature people

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:27 am Post subject: It amazes me some of you are so childish on this issue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of you sound like 2 year olds with your defense of the excessive noise that is eventually going to kill our sport if not addressed.

"What about harleys"

"What about car tracks"

What about them?

If they went away tomorrow would it bother you?

What if Motocross ceased tomorrow, how would you feel about that?

I would be pretty disgusted.

I am a promoter that has been getting hammered over the noise issue.

I can tell you right now that if it comes to the point where I have to start hiring a legal team to keep my track open I will probably just turn it into a trailer park.

I mean why expend resources to try to keep a track open for people that are so selfish, so stupid, that they don't see this eventually becoming as big an issue as the CPSC issues of the late 80's, All because an obnoxius minority actually believe that noise means horsepower and/or should be part of racing.

So far I am able to get along by voluntarily limiting the amount of days that I am open for racing and practice.

I have been hoping that the major sanctioning orgainizations would address this and get it under control before my attempt to get along with local officials gets more difficult.

My views on this subject have not changed from a post on the same topic last year:

http://********.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=20511&highlight=#20511

It is time for this industry, both ATVs and motorcycles, to take a new approach.

Afer Market companies should have a competition to see which one can produce the most power from the quietest exhaust system.

Quieter exhaust systems should be marketed more aggessively. It should be the most important factor in making a decision to purchase one system over another.

I love this sport.

There is nothing else that comes even close to the thrill of participating in it.

What makes it fun for you?

For me it is the sensation that comes from flying through the air. Challenging a rough track and kicking it's butt. Eating roost from a buddy and then passing them and returning the favor. That magical feeling on a day when everything is just clicking or the intense concentration it takes to turn things around when everything is going wrong. Knowing that on any particular day, in competition against others with similar experience you came out on top even though you might not have been on the best machine.

I want future generations to know all these great experiences.

If you feel the same way now ask yourself deep down, how important is being on a louder machine when it could cost you, and future would be riders, all of the above?

We must stop whining about sound limits and embrace them for both the short and long term future of this sport

I'm tired of being nice and trying to reason with people who argue stupid childish points... It because of people being ignorant or acting immature I as a Police officer have to go out and ride a quad and ticket fellow riders...CUT THE CRAP GUYS!!
Shut Up and Start Dealing with this like grown ups..or at least mature people

Jason NEATV-MX

QuadJunkies
12-28-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
Its not hard to pass a 102db limit. 75% of all the aftermarket dirtbike exhaust pass this no problem. Most of the pipe builders for atv racing are just lazy, and know that they don't have to pass the db limits.... I think its good. I find pipes like the Duncan and Sparks pipes obnoxious as well.:rolleyes: Theres no reason for it. You can reach just as good of hp numbers without rattling everyones eardrums inside of thier own helmets. Well. Troys Trinity on the Preddy wont pass thats for sure!!! :eek2: not as loud as a TC,but it far from quiet! :(

Does anyone know if this will be an issue for any of the WORCS series??? Sucks to have some of the changes on private Tracks,trails need quiet exaust but on a track,sometimes the best performing pipes are unfortunalty the LOUDEST :ermm: on some quads, I am most certainly NOT going to buy a new pipe until I can afford to or it gets taco'd . :o :p

hareracer
12-28-2004, 06:26 PM
jason14x- I agree with you that being able to ride is more important than load exaust but as I said before I don't feel that is the issue.

Dave400ex
12-28-2004, 09:27 PM
Guess I will have to sell my TC sooner or later. I'm not doing MX, but even the local XC races want to start testing. I'm fine with it, even I get sick of the noise, and honestly just bought the pipe 3 years ago because Digger Doug ran it. :eek:

AndreS
12-29-2004, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Well. Troys Trinity on the Preddy wont pass thats for sure!!! :eek2: not as loud as a TC,but it far from quiet! :(

Does anyone know if this will be an issue for any of the WORCS series??? Sucks to have some of the changes on private Tracks,trails need quiet exaust but on a track,sometimes the best performing pipes are unfortunalty the LOUDEST :ermm: on some quads, I am most certainly NOT going to buy a new pipe until I can afford to or it gets taco'd . :o :p

the WORCS series is going back to Goldendale, which has a 99db limit.

QuadJunkies
12-29-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by AndreS
the WORCS series is going back to Goldendale, which has a 99db limit. Will this be inforced at ALL the rounds?? IF so, we wont be racing then :ermm:

BlueZ440
12-29-2004, 09:58 AM
Ask Blair Tina..His a WORCS maniac..lol..

QuadJunkies
12-29-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by BlueZ440
Ask Blair Tina..His a WORCS maniac..lol.. lol.. That would REALLY suck, Troy needs to get shocks next, he just got a sponsorship program for Elka today!!! YAY! :blah: a pipe DEF we cant get this spring or I can kiss my duning trip goodbye.. NOT!

CTmxyfz
12-29-2004, 10:18 AM
the thing about dirtbikes is that they do not come with such restrictive exhausts from the factory. They are actually half decent as i have been told by a pro dirt bike rider that owns the practice track that i ride at. He runs in the pro 125 2 stroke and 250 4 stroke class. He showed me the stock pipe on his suzuki 250. It was wicked light and alot more free flowing than the pieces of crap we get on our bikes form factory.. Why can't they just design better pipes to come from factory too?

airheadedduner
01-03-2005, 10:11 AM
All I have to say about it is finnally.

Thump_It
02-09-2005, 12:14 AM
It is about time, I'm willing to give up a pony or two to keep on riding. I must admit, the nice throaty sound of aftermarket exhausts is music to my ears, but the sound of my quad can suffer if it means keeping out tracks and riding areas open. I plan on buying a new system after this year.

mitchummm
02-09-2005, 07:47 AM
I have a Pro Circuit t-4 slip-on on my 450R. Will it meet the sound restrictions?

mitchummm
02-09-2005, 07:49 AM
I have a Pro Circuit t-4 slip-on on my 450R. Will it meet the sound restrictions?
Does anybody know what DB level the Pulsecharger runs at?

jrspawn
02-12-2005, 06:19 AM
Hey, i currently run a TC pipe on my hybrid TCYZ426 engine, because its bassically the only exhaust i can run and Tom recomended it to work the best with his engines. Does anyone know if i can run the supertrap end cap on it and pass? I seen dustin wimmer had it on his bike at glen helen, just wandering if anyone else has tried it yet?

thank you
justin