PDA

View Full Version : Hill climber atv

Black
12-20-2004, 08:46 PM
I got a stock 400EX '04, I'm trying to make a trail/hill climber machine out of it, any tips? and on an off question, are there any bad things that can happen if I remove the choke on my quad? will it mess up my engine or anything?

Kilabanshee
12-20-2004, 08:51 PM
If you remove your choke your prob going to want to add in a 42 pilot jet which you pump the throttle a few times to get it started in all weather conditions. If you want to make it a hillclimb quad I would get an extended swingarm, 440 big bored, cam, porting, fcr carb ect and you should have a pretty nice hill shooter. I got a 416ex 10.8.1 piston,cam, and porting and it flys up almost any hill without a problem.

YFZ450Ridr
12-20-2004, 09:03 PM
deffenetly you wona get and extended swingarm and a arms for the most stability you can get. pipe, bore kit, the works on the engine like Killabanshee said before.a wheelie bar could be an option to but i dont think youll need it that if you have an extened swinger.

heres a sand drag 400ex if it helps any:confused:

http://img135.exs.cx/img135/3473/drag400ex0jp.jpg

Black
12-20-2004, 10:45 PM
ok, thanks, cool quad too, it's just that I rode in Parker a couple weeks ago and I kept getting to hills that were really steep and were full of rocks, and I do a lot of trails so I wanted to know what I could do to make it more powerful for hills and stuff, and one more question, would getting a new front sprocket with on tooth off help? Cause it would give it extra low end power.

frosti108
12-20-2004, 10:58 PM
1st things 1st. i would go for an air filter and full exhaust. also pick up a jet kit. then maybe move onto an extended swingarm if you really want to get into hillclimbing.

if you want more power with a little bit of a lower top speed, get a front sprocket with one less tooth than you have now. OR the better thing to do would be to get smaller rear tires. going from 22" to 20 or 20 to 18 is one of the biggest differences you can make. this is not only due to the size factor but the extra weight of a big tire really affects performance... but yea one tooth less on the front gives you more accel/torque and lower top speed. opposite for opposite results...

markk
12-20-2004, 11:05 PM
Find a good motor builder, that will build u a good motor that will take the revs, and produce torque all the way threw the RPM's.
Then put money into a swingarm, If you gona trail ride also, i wouldnt go any more than +2 swinger. Suspension makes a huge diffrence also. Then i would buy a good stering stem, and bars.

Thats about all id do for a good hillclimb machine, but im more into XC racing!

chad502ex
12-21-2004, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Black
I got a stock 400EX '04, I'm trying to make a trail/hill climber machine out of it, any tips? and on an off question, are there any bad things that can happen if I remove the choke on my quad? will it mess up my engine or anything?

any tips, yea- just build or buy my 502ex. That's what the 502 was built for; trail and monster hill climbing.
:)

Anyway, I hear ppl say that they worry about reliablility with a stroker, but I'd tell ya what- other than yearly ring replacement my 502 has been extremely reliable. Go with a stroker!

hope this helps.
chad502ex.com

bdrue
12-21-2004, 08:43 AM
hey chad where did u get your 502ex built?

chad502ex
12-21-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by bdrue
hey chad where did u get your 502ex built?

Originally FST stroked the crank to 496 (with piston). Then I took it from there.

chad

04'400ex'er
12-21-2004, 07:38 PM
If you want to shoot steep hills then you need an extended swinger. You will want torque out of your motor. Go with a Big Gun pipe. Unbeatable for torque. Then you will need to play with gearing. If you do motor work remember stroker=torque.
Main thing is get lots of torque. And get a way to put that torque to the ground.