PDA

View Full Version : Who is honestly happy....

tido450
12-20-2004, 06:46 PM
i have an 03 z400, i once thaught it was the greatest till my frame snapped in 4 places, also almost every peice of plastic on it had broke including the airbox, even the top steering stem mounts bends even after a slight wreck. i finally got it all gusseted and pc'd i finally thaught my days of trouble were over till i picked it up today and felt alot of play in the sub frame... 2 of the 4 cast iron tabs on it have cracked, i just cannot win. i was jus wondering if you guys are happy with your 400's durability because im sure im not the only one that has had this much trouble, none of my yamaha's have ever had this much go wrong

sled_ed 300ex
12-20-2004, 07:08 PM
i dont have one but i now one guy hoo has one and he brocke the frame in 21 different places and he gusetted it many times!!

he was pretty pist-off but he wont sell it,i think the last time that he gusetted the frame it didnt break again after that!!

dads400ex
12-20-2004, 07:55 PM
I don't know what the problem is but I have never had that type of trouble. The only troubles I have had is a little bit of streesing on the shock mounts but a gusset job curred that problem.
sorry bout the troubles, it must suck.:mad: :mad:

EXRIDER400KFX
12-20-2004, 08:30 PM
:huh damn man that must suck. i couldn't be happier with my KFX. the only problem i've ever had was my timing chain.

SHOCKER
12-20-2004, 08:44 PM
some people just put their bike through a totally diferent type of abuse, honestly what i have put my bike through the only problem i have had frame wise was bending the upper mount, but it was on a hard crash, and for the rest i gusseted my shock mounts before i started racing, so i have no complaints

BlueZ440
12-20-2004, 09:37 PM
I have own my since it came out..Welded the weak spots and everything is good with my quad..Knock on wood...I take care of my quad very well..I clean,wd40 and grease after everytime I play or race.. (pretty much like a car detail)I'm VERY HAPPY WITH MY Z440..

tido450
12-21-2004, 06:25 PM
one thing will give suzuki credit for is the motor, i have not had one problem with it and have put it through hell, i too lube all the fittings and what not after i ride, but sadly there is no metal strengthening spray

BlueZ440
12-21-2004, 06:38 PM
Maybe it's the way people land..Coming up short on jumps..etc..:D

kayshane
12-22-2004, 04:55 AM
i got my z soon as they came out in 2003 and rode it everyday for almost a year and rode it hard jump,dunes,trails and a little motor cross and i have not had one thing wrong with it yet but i havent rode it that much this year, sorry about your luck with yours that would suck i just think there is a bad batch of them out there as much as you hear about the problems with them but i still think suzuki is the top of the line quad for all around riding:D

gimp419
12-23-2004, 08:47 AM
I've raced mine on both a national and local level for 2 years with zero trouble. I also used it to practice on at least twice a week. My Z is a tank, no trouble at all!

nemesis
12-23-2004, 02:12 PM
It's mostly about how you take care of it. My shift lever totally came off while trail riding. That was my fault for never checking the bolt. I am going to go through the whole quad and check every nut, bolt, screw, ect...

tido450
12-23-2004, 04:24 PM
i think my problem is im always riding it on the edge frequently bottoming out and i guess just doin stupid ****, other than that id give myself an A for maintenance lol, i just welded up my subframe today and now all i gotta do is get it PC'd again and the good ole Z will be on the road to destruction once again.!

tido450
12-23-2004, 09:30 PM
i love your way of thinking lolol, die suzuki dieeeeee, i cannot wait to sell mine to an unsuspecting moron.

batgeek
12-23-2004, 11:12 PM
wow, interesting.

2 years on mine...raced, aggressive trail riding, aggressive MX riding, dune riding...and no problems other than would you would normally expect form a quad that is ridden aggressively.

mattonln
12-23-2004, 11:29 PM
lol, all you damned zuk owners pissed off at yourselfs because you didn't buy honda!!! jk jk, anyways, my buddy has a z-400 and he swears by it, he thinks it can beat any quad any where any time until I showed up with my 450r, smoked his ***! i must say that you can't rag on the quadzilla, its pretty balsy for a company to make a 500 2 stroke quad! my buddy has one and it is death defiangly fast!! he's broken his collar bone twice and countless amounts of ribs with the mofo.....

ramp rida 55
12-24-2004, 07:41 AM
man you really hate z's. ive had mine for 2 years and ive jumped it high, slammed through whooped and ridin fairly hard. i also race motocross and the only issue ive had is the frame which is taken care of, the plastic falling apart, but i bought some maiers one piece. and the clutch burnt out but that is because it couldnt take the power of my built motor. some are worse than others. i felt ive had really good luck with mine so far

04EXdude
12-24-2004, 09:07 AM
Thats a dang shame cause I always liked the Z. I always wondered how Suzuki put more stuff on the Z but yet its lighter than a 400EX. I wanted to buy a Z but I'm glad as heck I bought an EX instead..........:cool:

jason14x
12-24-2004, 01:46 PM
Hey Ive had 3 LT 250's and still have my 1990 and except for a problem with the motor frying itself because the motor shop didnt jet it riight have had Zero problems! I owned a brand new 1987,1989, and bought this one a 1990 5 years ago still with the original tires on it! I have taken it apart maintained it and nothing mechanical has ever gone seriously wrong!!!

Paul to each there own but how can you bag on Suzuki....if they hadnt made the Quadracer we wouldnt be where we are....First on 4 wheels my friend!!!

I agree about the frames the quadracer NEVER handled better than the Honda .....except on the TT tracks ( remember what gary denton did his first year after the factories folded...I do he used a 250r for mx and a Qracer for TT) And I Have had a few cracks on my frames But other than that if you take care of em they have held up good to me!

Besides I dont see Honda stepping up with any REAL factory support HMMMMMMMMM!!! They dont even give Tim a box truck!!!

I like ALL Quads but you ride what you like and I ride what I like!!

JasonNEATV-MX

MY450R
12-27-2004, 01:10 PM
yes my frame snapped at the shosk mounts and my plastic is broken on several mounts also the swingarm is a piece of chit and doesnt keeep the chain tight
but the plastics and the frame was from a wreck
overall i love the quad but i have had many problems with it

One_Bad_400
12-27-2004, 06:41 PM
i am very satisfide(sp) with my Z/KFX i have 2, they are the most durble bike out in my openion, yes every frame will break if you ride it right(R, YFZ, Z, EX) i've broken both my frames on the shock mounts on my EX and Z... i love my KFX the only down part on the bike is that it is a 400, if it was a 450 i wouldnt even think about buying a R or yfz

ive had my Z400 sence 02 or 03, when ever the 03's came out, and the only problem we've had with it is the shock mounts, besides that the bike is bullet proff

tido450
12-27-2004, 09:29 PM
the only way to ride mine right is to sit on it in the garage and dont make any sudden movements, one false move and the motor or something crucial could fall apart

One_Bad_400
12-28-2004, 02:43 PM
all i have to say in this post is, if you think the LTZ has problems, whats till you step foot over a YFZ, they have valve pobems, frame, starter, engine, a-arm, swingarm, axle, i think yamaha tryed to make it so light, when they did that all the medal wasnt thik enough and all the parts are bending or cracking! a few weeks ago it was eather buying the yamaha having all them problems(i think yamaha fixed most of that for 05 though) or the honda with taking the chance of having one with a bad engine...... i bought a KFX

Lolli2
12-29-2004, 10:07 PM
I haven't had any problems with mine. We gusseted and powdercoated the frame on it right away. I'm really happy with it. Love the reverse too, lol!
http://members.aol.com/paylolli/gus1.jpg
http://members.aol.com/lolli2/qotm2.jpg
http://members.aol.com/lolli2/qotm1.jpg

MY450R
12-30-2004, 12:25 PM
dont get me wrong here i love my z,its a beast !
i take that thing and make new trails with it
i do stuff to it that i wouldnt do to my 450r because its just to cruel.
but if you put a z400 and a 450r side by side and look at the frames you can tell that the frame on the z will break for sure.\
its much thinner than the 450r frame

Brown450R
01-01-2005, 06:16 PM
If you are going to mx the z, you need to do a couple of things. Mainly, gusset the frame, replace your swingarm and rear shock, get +2 or +3 a-arms and shocks on the front. Also, if you get busy with some zip ties, you can keep your plastic together. With these mods you can really soften up the impacts. You and your z will live longer. As far as the engine goes, get a clamp on style air filter asap. Engine mods, well, a 440 or 450 big bore kit will do wonders for you. You can get a lot of power, depends on your wallet. Bottom line is, if you spend enough money, you can mx anything. The z is not a bad machine.

khen
01-05-2005, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by jason14x
Paul to each there own but how can you bag on Suzuki....if they hadnt made the Quadracer we wouldnt be where we are....First on 4 wheels my friend!!!Actually that is not true, Suzuki was the first Japanese manufacturer on 4 wheels(besides Honda with the Odyssey), but Rupp put out the Go-Joe back in '69. It is actually credited as the first 4 wheeler. Here is a picture of my old one.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid148/p3cfd7ce9fb6a7a6349c50c5720ee6de1/f61a357e.jpg

robman
01-07-2005, 06:11 PM
Actually bombardier created the first 4 wheeler and for the record all z4oo's need gussets,we do it our selves.

tido450
01-08-2005, 01:32 AM
SNAPPER DID, DID YOU SEE FOREST GUMP???:devil:

khen
01-08-2005, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by robman
Actually bombardier created the first 4 wheeler and for the record all z4oo's need gussets,we do it our selves. I'd like to see a picture of this Bombardier 4 wheeler. I know Bombardier claims to have made the first snowmobile(I got to see one). But from what I've seen/read, they didn't even enter the ATV market until 1999.

First factory built Bombardier snowmobile 1947

http://www.explorenorth.com/library/graphics/snowmachine1.jpg

tido450
01-08-2005, 12:22 PM
update!.... just got my subframe back, sadly just discovered my axle carrier is cracked, so much for trading it in this week. does anyone know how much one of those costs?

jdwxv3
01-08-2005, 12:58 PM
I amy have an entire Z rear end for sale next week(my bro just got a Burgard honda style. If you can PM me I will let you know.

Also I have a Weisco 440 kit 12.5-1 compression with everything needed to install wristpin, rings, sleeve, and gaskets also have an extra cylinder you could bore. I will sell the entire set for $310.00 shipped! Just PM me.

Quad82DP
01-09-2005, 08:26 AM
I have an 04 and love the quad. But it does have issues. Within the first month I trashed the stock chain jumping. I thought I might have had the chain too tight, but it has happened to a couple other guys I know too. The 4 bolts in the axel carrier/swingarm stripped inside the backing plate/nut setup. Had to sawzaw them off and bought hardened bolts to replace them. No frame cracks yet.

300ex73
01-15-2005, 05:59 AM
The only real problems that have been had with the Z in my posession, is that the bolts for the flywheel broke off, and caused all hell to brake loose inside the stator cover. It ruined the flyhweel, stator, and starter clutch. Over $1,000 dollars for all the parts and labor. Although, we did manage to knock the price down to $850 by using one of Ricky Stators new stators for the Z. Also have 2 friends that had the same problem, and not sure how many others had the same problem, although i know the guy that runs the local shop said it was becoming common. So if you hear something funny from the bottom end, park it. And if it won't start, don't try to keep grinding on the starter, it just screws it up worse.

08-17-2005, 01:56 PM
my 03' z has been nothing but trouble since i got it. I bought it from guy that rode it like once then his wife popped out some kids so he sold it...ive been riding hard on it since i got it....Transmission had to be replaced, axle bent to crap, Rims are bent, chain tentioner shattered, parts of the external part of the bearing carrier broke, bent a-arm, ive been rly lucky with my frame, getting gussets in the next couple of weeks, plastics fall apart, bent rotor thanks to the ****ty *** stock skidplate, stock tires wore faster then any tire ive every seen. Suzuki rly ****ed up with this one. And one word for who ever designed the stock swingarm, Horrible, it ****ing falls to peices. Suzuki better make some big changes for the z450...if not they suck.

PeeWee21
08-18-2005, 08:42 AM
I've read this whole thread and to the ones some of you that have had problems, did you ever think that when you ride the
piss out of it and put it up wet that it's gonna have problems? Look at the post above mine, bent a-arm ( what did you hit to bend it?) transmission ( how often did you jam it in gear while not using the clutch?) bearing carrier ( your bearings were wore out causing everything to move, why did'nt you put new bearings in it before it f**ked everything up?) rotor ( all other makes put plastic skids on theirs so how could this be a f**k up by Suzuki, they hit rocks and ***** to?) junk stock tires ( the raptor has the same dam tires and everyone says they wear very good so how could your wear any faster, probably because of asphalt huh?) stock swinger ( this is'nt the greatest design but if the owners would get off they're arses and service it when it needed it instead of before ***** broke?) and for needing a whole list of other crap to make them competitive against YFZ's and R's all i can say is BULL*****!! I take my KFX that is only +2, with *****ty Works shocks, Durablue axle, stock but jetted carb, K&N filter and a Yoshi RS-3 slip on and i out run R's, YFZ's, Predator's, Raptor's, etc... it's about knowing HOW to ride what you have, not riding something that you deem as slow, if your like that, your beat before you ever hit the track!!!!

lostcreekz450
08-18-2005, 06:38 PM
my budd has a 400ex and i also have an 03 Z400
his is more reliable as far as prarts breaking (plastics and what not)
hitnk its because his has 2 peice plastics and ours has like 7 or 8
other then needing to constanly zip tie and weld fendors on i love the 03 Z i luckaly got my frame gusseted when i got it instead of waiting for the cracking to start

its ok to shift with out the clutch aslong as you let of the gas then shift then get back on it theres a trcik to it i do it all the time.
no problems yet

Brown450R
08-18-2005, 10:46 PM
My built Z has been mxed pretty hard this summer. The engine has been great. It is now a 455 and the tranny has held up to the extra power very well. No problems at all. The only real problem I have been having is the subframe keeps breaking. I am real happy with the rest of it. It kicks *** to be able to have electric start and reverse. My 450r is sweet, but I wish it had reverse and electric start.
One thing you guys have to keep in mind. If you are going to beat the crap out of a machine, you have to do some repair work now and then. The z is well known for having weak frames and crappy swingarm and bearing carriers. Fix those, and you are off to the races. Oh yeah, and forget about fender mount brackets. Just take them off. You don't really need them on the rear, and if you trim your front fenders, you don't really need them on the front either. After I broke and rewelded about ten pair, I gave up.
For the guy that broke his chain. HuH? I haven't broke a chain in my life. Gotta be improperly adjusted. Gotta be. Just fricken has to be. Period.
And if you think a 400 ex is better than a Z400, you must be high. End of story.

lostcreekz450
08-18-2005, 10:57 PM
i love when the honda and yamahas get clogged in the first corner and all u do is shift down and turn that little key. :devil:

TRFOXX
08-24-2005, 09:00 PM
I have owned my Z for 2 years now and have had no problems. When i did buy it i also bought a Arens frame brace. My shock mounts still look new with no cracking. I only trail ride but very aggressive trail riding. I weigh 265 pounds and the thing works awlsome. Yeah i have a lot of mods but its a strong running machine. that im happy with. If you weigh as much as I do though make sure you get some good shocks I bottomed those stockers out evrytime!