PDA

View Full Version : Jetting recommendations for 7000 feet?

RAPTORAZ
04-22-2002, 10:15 PM
I'm taking my EX to the Cinder's in Flagstaff for the first time next month. Anybody have any jetting recommendations for an elevation of about 7000 feet? My mods are in my signature. Any help would be appreciated. Thank's.

RAPTORAZ
04-23-2002, 08:25 PM
Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Anyone?

leel
04-24-2002, 07:33 AM
If your 400ex is correctly jetted for the mods it has, going from sea level to 7000 feet usually means going two sizes smaller on the main jet, and a half turn leaner on the pilot screw. On the other hand, going to 7000 feet will make it run richer (not leaner), so you might be ok just leaving it for the one ride...

Have fun,
Lorrin

K400EX&A250EX
04-24-2002, 06:00 PM
RaptorAZ,

Let me know (PM me if you prefer) how your bike ran at the Cinders and/or what jetting changes you make and how they affect the performance. I plan to go to the Cinders at least a couple of times this summer!

RAPTORAZ
04-24-2002, 08:21 PM
I havn't had my EX or Raptor at the Cinders yet. I posted this thread to get peoples jetting recommendations for that elevation. I wanted to see if their opinions coincided with my own. I am planning(along with some friends) on going to the Cinders May 31-June 2. You are welcome to come along and hang out. I havn't been in about 2 years. My last venture was with my piped 300EX which was pretty much useless up there. Being that it was running overly rich and a little underpowered. I'm hoping to tackle the BIG hill with my Raptor. My old 300EX was only able to make it up about 1/3 of the way. I don't think my Raptor will have a problem with it. Also curious to see how my 400EX does as well.

VegasEx'r
04-24-2002, 08:30 PM
Are the Cinders sand dunes? If so, can you give me directions? Since it will soon be too hot for Dumont, Glamis & Amargosa, I need to find some higher-elevation dunes to go to during the summer.

I'm no expert w/ jetting (although I act like it ;) ), but how do you feel about a 40 pilot & 165 main?

DEAL
04-24-2002, 08:35 PM
ahh man isn't flagstaff a lil cold this time of the year?

RAPTORAZ
04-25-2002, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by FreeStylexrider
ahh man isn't flagstaff a lil cold this time of the year?

It should be great during the day. It might be a little cold at night still. However, I'll be nice and cozy inside my motorhome with my 5'2" 110lb 34DD wife.:D

RAPTORAZ
04-25-2002, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by VegasEx'r
Are the Cinders sand dunes? If so, can you give me directions? Since it will soon be too hot for Dumont, Glamis & Amargosa, I need to find some higher-elevation dunes to go to during the summer.

The Cinders are not sand dunes. They are volcanic rock about 1/4 inch in diameter. So it takes a little more power to get through it than sand. Also the Cinders is full of tree's. If you're still interested, let me know and I'll try yo get some directions for you.

I'm no expert w/ jetting (although I act like it ;) ), but how do you feel about a 40 pilot & 165 main?

I was thing more like a 155 main with the stock needle setting and a 42 pilot. Your suggestion for a 40 pilot might be a better idea. I don't think a drop to a 165 would be enough for a 6000 foot difference in elevation.