View Full Version : What size axle?

sprtrx300ex
12-20-2004, 02:10 PM
I have Houser +3 long travel a-arms on my 400. What size axle do I need for the back? Also whats a good brand?

Michael18
12-20-2004, 02:19 PM
I would probobly go with an LSR or an RPM adjustable to +2/+4. thats the 2 that i would look into. there websites are www.lsracing.com and www.team-rpm.com

Dumontexrider
12-22-2004, 11:54 PM
I got a Durablue eliminator axle for my 400ex and i love it. i think its plus 2 on each side. handles great and looks sweet

400exrider707
12-23-2004, 12:00 AM
RPM is the only brand I've yet to see bend. I've seen durablues bent, I've seen LSR ones bent, and no matter what finish you get on an LSR it seems to rust, but still a nice axle. Depends how serious you are. Unless your going to be racing pro, any will work, but RPM is the best.

ny300exrider
12-23-2004, 04:57 AM
get an rpm +4

aviator4
12-23-2004, 09:57 AM
the nice thing about an LSR Axcalibar axle is that it has a lifetime warranty. If it ever breaks, they will replace it no questions asked.

They claim that, if you bend it, you can re-bend it back true without losing any strength, but this goes against basic metalurgy physics... it may not lose ALL of it's strength, but it will lose some. Any time you bend and re-bend a piece of steel cold it will lose it's temper. I don't care if it's aircraft grade or not.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trashin' the axle, just that particular claim. Heck, I bought this axle for my bike!!! I don't know about the other brands of axles, but this axle, for a 400ex, comes with a new billet sprocket hub installed too. Haven't had a chance to really put it through it's paces but hey, if it's good enough for the racing industry, it's good enough for me.

To me, it looks like the quality of the axle is top notch! All of the machiend surfaces were clean, the splines were nice and deep and the chrome finish smooth and shiny - show quality. I was able to install both the LSR and the OEM hubs on the rear without problems. and it fit in both the OEM carrier and the LSR carrier without any issues whatsoever. The spacing of the splines and clip groove are identical to the OEM axle, allowing you to use all of your stock parts on it.

This axle is adjustable from +2 to +4, it's done my changing the order of a set of two spacers and your hubs. Each spacer is 1/2 in wide. By putting all of the spacers behind the hub you increase the length by an inch on each side.. (Thus the +4) Splitting the spacers (one inside and one outside) will give you a +3 axle. Putting the spacers all on the outside of the hub will give you a +2 wide axle.The axle can't be run without the spacers on it.

The axle comes with new hub nuts and a set of clips to replace the cotter pins from the OEM axle. Being basically a chunk of steel, it's really heavy, but weighs in about the same as the OEM axle.

Sorry so long, but axles aren't cheap and this is the kind of information I wanted when I bought mine.

Hope it helps. :D

sharkinthepool
12-23-2004, 10:33 AM
LSR +2+4 or the RPM, which I believe is the same +2+4 that lonestar uses!

400exrider707
12-23-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by aviator4
the nice thing about an LSR Axcalibar axle is that it has a lifetime warranty. If it ever breaks, they will replace it no questions asked.

They claim that, if you bend it, you can re-bend it back true without losing any strength, but this goes against basic metalurgy physics... it may not lose ALL of it's strength, but it will lose some. Any time you bend and re-bend a piece of steel cold it will lose it's temper. I don't care if it's aircraft grade or not.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trashin' the axle, just that particular claim. Heck, I bought this axle for my bike!!! I don't know about the other brands of axles, but this axle, for a 400ex, comes with a new billet sprocket hub installed too. Haven't had a chance to really put it through it's paces but hey, if it's good enough for the racing industry, it's good enough for me.

To me, it looks like the quality of the axle is top notch! All of the machiend surfaces were clean, the splines were nice and deep and the chrome finish smooth and shiny - show quality. I was able to install both the LSR and the OEM hubs on the rear without problems. and it fit in both the OEM carrier and the LSR carrier without any issues whatsoever. The spacing of the splines and clip groove are identical to the OEM axle, allowing you to use all of your stock parts on it.

This axle is adjustable from +2 to +4, it's done my changing the order of a set of two spacers and your hubs. Each spacer is 1/2 in wide. By putting all of the spacers behind the hub you increase the length by an inch on each side.. (Thus the +4) Splitting the spacers (one inside and one outside) will give you a +3 axle. Putting the spacers all on the outside of the hub will give you a +2 wide axle.The axle can't be run without the spacers on it.

The axle comes with new hub nuts and a set of clips to replace the cotter pins from the OEM axle. Being basically a chunk of steel, it's really heavy, but weighs in about the same as the OEM axle.

Sorry so long, but axles aren't cheap and this is the kind of information I wanted when I bought mine.

Hope it helps. :D

Well a $200 G-force has a lifetime warranty and also comes with the billet sprocket hub............ RPM is still the axle that I see bent the least. I've only seen one bent. I've seen quite a few lsrs and a TON of durablues. Most axles these days come with lifetime warranty except for the cheapest durablue, which is like 6 months or so

aviator4
12-23-2004, 11:14 PM
Now, I'm not saying the RPM axle isn't good... He asked what a good brand was, so I told him what I knew about the LSR. I'm not bashing any other axle. It is possible that you see more LSR's bent than the RPM's simply because there are more LSR's out there. I'm not saying it's so, just that it's possible.

I've personally never seen a Bent LSR or RPM, but Durablue... I've seen a bent Durablue.

Again, I don't know the features of the other axles, but I do know the LSR, so that what I posted on.

Not trying to get anyone upset or anything.

400exrider707
12-24-2004, 12:33 AM
Yeah I understand I was just stating that G-force also sells axles for a very good price now, and that they too have a lifetime warranty. Might just as well give it a try. I know people are goign to bash it because its rocky mountains own brand but it does have a lifetime warranty.