PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have this problem?

MX#9
12-20-2004, 12:56 PM
I can't get the bolt out that holds the plastic to the fuel tank. The little nut that is fused into the tank plastic is turning,and the bolt is not. Has anyone had to deal with this yet,and what is the solution? I will probably end up with a new fuel tank,but I still need to get the bolt out without destroying the plastic.

ZRider400
12-20-2004, 03:27 PM
its from over tightening the bolts.

had it happen on a CRF450 dirtbike(same type of thing)

had to pull the whole piece out.... stick it in a vice, loosen the bolt. then glue it back in.....and never over tighten the bolt again.

450R_lover
12-20-2004, 03:59 PM
what i did when this happened to me was.. I pulled the plastic over the bolt so that i could get to the brass fitting in the tank. Then, I kind of jammed a flat head screw driver between the brass fitting and the tank to where it wouldnt turn. I then loosened the bolt and everthing was alright after that. Just be careful when you pull the plastic over the bolt and it wont mess up the plastic because its made to be bent and then reform its shape. And dont tighten it tight at all then next times you take the bolts out of the plastic, they dont need to be torqued hardly at all to hold.

MX#9
12-21-2004, 07:22 AM
Thanks, I did not think I was the only one this happened to. I'm sure I tend to overtighten the fasteners.

450R_lover
12-21-2004, 05:10 PM
no problem man... good luck

WhiteZee
12-22-2004, 04:36 PM
i had this same problem last night, my bolt is stuck and its not coming out. i was planning on taking it to the dealer, but their being jackasses and will only warrenty it if i bring the whole quad in, and i just tore it down for PC. my warrenty runs out in 7 days also, i have a feeling they will warrenty it if i go in there with my tank, one way or another.:devil: