PDA

View Full Version : best way to block in mx?

Out_Sider
12-20-2004, 12:48 AM
what is the best way to block a rider in a turn during a mx race? do you go on the inside of the turn or outside and try to stay in the middle. i've always stayed on the inside, but it just seems to slow me down so much, any opinions is appreciated

UbeenSmoked
12-20-2004, 09:04 AM
i like to block on the insides, it may think ur slower but the out isde is the farthest aways so take a little longer, look to it as nascar, but just go wut ever line but indside line is harder to pass someone on

Matt

K_Fulk
12-20-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Out_Sider
i've always stayed on the inside, but it just seems to slow me down so much, any opinions is appreciated

Try to brake later, acelerate out of it quicker. When you accelerate back out stay on the gas while your on the clutch and brake and pop the clutch back out when your straighend up.

Practice makes perfect.

12-20-2004, 02:27 PM
just go faster:D :D

dsracer666
12-20-2004, 04:08 PM
I like to hit people that block (hard)!:D

JRDrider22
12-20-2004, 04:18 PM
ive been hit a few times and ive hit people too. its all apart of it. i brake hard really late and get a good start outta the turn. wacth pro videos and learn from them

NTPRacing#19
12-20-2004, 04:19 PM
ride more

Zwanter
12-20-2004, 04:31 PM
/\

daddio
12-20-2004, 05:14 PM
If you can ride fast enough, you don't NEED to block. otherwise get out of the way for the guy that is faster, follow and learn from him, then next time you'll be faster. And for pete's sake........... Don't "block" the leader when he is lapping you. :D :D :D

kickin kfx 400
12-20-2004, 06:26 PM
Definatly take the inside. Watch what he does and try to take advantage of it. look for the good line and always push yourself.

bs784
12-20-2004, 06:27 PM
Intentional blocking is almost as bad and childish as cheating and cutting the track. Just run your line and focus on the race not on who is behind you.

R3Concepts
12-20-2004, 07:10 PM
Race how you want to be raced. If you were blocking me and Im faster then you, Im going to do my best to park your *** on the side of the track, more then likely upside down. Think about how you want to be raced and use that mentality to race with others. Your not going to learn how to pass anyone if you block people all the time...and this could get you hurt in the long run. Your choice.

300extreme#8
12-20-2004, 08:20 PM
practice more on turnin on the inside so u will get faster and not have worry bout blockin.but it helps if u get someone to train with,tell then to follow u into a turn and try to ram u as hard as they can,u'll learn to get in the turn fast and get out just as fast so u don't get hit,it works

Out_Sider
12-20-2004, 09:22 PM
well, i was asking the question to see how ppl block so i could find away around them, at the races here there is this boy (dallas) on a blaster and i was thinkin if i could find out how they block then i could most definatly find a way around, but its really difficult to pass him without gettin hung up

400grl
12-20-2004, 09:35 PM
If I'm trying to pass someone, I start to take the turn on the outside....I wait for the person in front of me to start to swing out to block me and I dive for the inside......this has worked great for me in many races......or just follow them long enough for them to blow a corner and take the inside......I've also passed on the outside if it's a good berm and you can keep your speed up well........when you take the inside, don't be afraid of rubbing and pushing them out a little......

beerock
12-20-2004, 09:44 PM
400 grl answered that better then anyone so far.:D

What i do is take the turns like what she said, but I use it as a "shut the door" type turn or if you must say it, BLOCK. start on the outside of the turn and dive in at the apex(mid turn) then swing out to the outside of the turn. This is the fastest way through the turn and if you have somoene trying to pass inside diving in messes people upand swinging out screws up the person trying to pass on the outside. BUT if your fast enough then that wont matter cuz youll be going through the turns faster then them and hopefully gaining ground on the next in line.

SOme turns are better just to keep a arc and hammering through them, (like on nice swooped berms)

it all depends ont he turns, track, etc

even in some straightaways, going from left to right or vice versa across the track may be faster if the line is smoother.;)

K_Fulk
12-21-2004, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by 400grl
If I'm trying to pass someone, I start to take the turn on the outside....I wait for the person in front of me to start to swing out to block me and I dive for the inside......this has worked great for me in many races

That works great and your usually around them befor they know what happens.

I wouldnt call taking the inside on a mx track blocking, more like holing your line. If someone is faster they will either do the above method, find a better line or pass you after the turn. Cause there is usally plenty of room.

Xc is quite a bit diffrent though. If someone is on your tail after you get in a tight section your way better off moving over for them when you have room.

sharkinthepool
12-21-2004, 05:30 AM
What 400grl said, works for her; possibly will not wrok for you! Everything everyone has stated so far might work for them, and could be your nail in the coffin!!! The best for you is seat time and figure out where your strong pass is at.

I use what my dad calls a "force pass". I will hold right on your rear tire on the outside of most the turns (if you actually have a bike 1) I cant out jump, 2) I cant get by in the straights or whoops). Then when I see the oppurtunity, with a hairpin coming up, I will force myself to stay on the gas when you are braking and get beside you headed into the turn. Most likely you are going to get forced into the "pin" and I am gone! It might be dirty but it works. That is only on MX. On TT that could just be ugly! :rolleyes: It has only happened once, just once, honest:blah: