PDA

View Full Version : zero preload front end setup?

georgedoggy
12-19-2004, 09:52 PM
hey guys,

ive got tcs triple rates zps, 4 deg camber and no toe in when sitting on the bike, on +2 +1 aarms on my 250r. heres the question.

being zps, i set the shocks up to have 3 or 4 deg camber and virtually no toe-in when im on the bike fully geared up. when im not on the bike the toe out is massive of course and this is also the case when im in the air. i had a photo taken of me going up a table top and both my front tires had massive toe in as the suspension was compressed going up the ramp. is this normal? setting it up for zps is confusing especially when your in the air or compressing the shocks. any help guys with a good front end set up with zps??

cdalejef
12-20-2004, 07:20 AM
It sounds like there is a problem with the a-arm design. What brand are you running and where they designed for a 250R? What brand steering stem are you running and was it designed for a 250R?

flyingbyfast400
12-20-2004, 07:41 PM
My buddie had this same problem on his c-dale. If you looked at pics of him jumping it, his toe-in was crazy bad.. But it was not all to bad when it was on the ground beeing rode. It's once he was in the air is where it was seen the most. But with a few truns of a wrench it was fixed. Hope thats all the more your problem is.

georgedoggy
12-20-2004, 11:44 PM
thanks for the reply guys,

the a-arms are +2+1 and are made for the 250r. they are made by a local company who also sells them to bike shops etc and his work is A+. the steering stem is standard with a pep dampner. if it is a matter of turning the wrench a little, how?
like i said i have it running straight while on the bike but when compressed it toes in? any more suggestions??
thanks...

TBD
12-21-2004, 07:58 AM
You are always going to have bumpsteer. The a-arms have nothing to do with bumpsteer. The only way to get rid of some of the bumpsteer is to relocate the tie rods or redesign the chassis. Having zero preload doesn't matter except that the ride hieght is different. I would suggest running either a 1/8 to 1/4 inch toe in at ride hieght. As the front suspension cycles you are going to go from a toe out to toe in situation because the tie rods and the arms do not cycle at the same rate.

TBD
12-21-2004, 08:03 AM
One more thing. If your arms are caster adjustable and the caster is not correct that would affect the bumpsteer a little.