PDA

View Full Version : Do you use Heel Guards (Why or Why Not?)

lacofdfireman
12-19-2004, 03:01 PM
Since I am kinda new to the Sport Quad scene ( I have had Utility quads for about 5years) I am just wondering if the Heel guards are really necessary? I guess they could prevent your foot from being sucked in between the tire and peg and being ran over but does that really happen? I figure with my size 14 boot it would be hard to get between the peg and rear fender but maybe not. With all my Utility quads they have always had the floorboards I guess you could call them. So just asking the question on your opinion if they are necessary or not? I really like the stock ones I am just trying to find out how to lower my pegs.

jeepnrocks
12-19-2004, 04:19 PM
i think my friend wears a size 12 and his quad was not biased as to his shoe size . it ran it over just the same.

Sportrax10
12-19-2004, 04:23 PM
I took mine off because I never have any problems with my foot falling through.. and it looks a lot better without them...

theTman
12-19-2004, 04:26 PM
i didnt run them on my 400 cuz i got nerfs...then i got some AC propegs w/ heelguards

Shawn H
12-19-2004, 05:58 PM
I just use a set of X-factor Nerfs with the big pegs and no heal guards.I have never had a problem with my feet of the pegs

12-19-2004, 06:26 PM
i took mine off cause they didnt really do anything for me & it looks better without them

Thump_It
12-19-2004, 11:53 PM
I use them. I put my heels back there as leverage while i'm racing. I don't think they look that bad, but that is opinion.

12-20-2004, 02:53 PM
i left them on for piece of mind:)

quadrcr161
12-20-2004, 03:01 PM
was one of the 1st things to come off. ive tried to put my foot through the opening and it would take a lot of work to get the right angle. i have only had my foot come off once, but it was on someone elses 250r with busted rear fenders. was my 1st time to ride his and was at the london ky national after my trans blew up. i dont like them, even the ones built into the nerfs, they catch a ton of mudd when the track is sloppy.

Syrus
12-20-2004, 03:06 PM
If you race, id use nerfs, if you trail ride then buy some healguards or use the stock ones. Not only does it stop your foot from going threw, but it saves the rocks and sticks and anything else that can be a hazard on the trail.

jesshamner
12-20-2004, 03:13 PM
I dont' want to jinks myself but I have never used them and never had any problems. I realize that it could happen any time but I just can't stand having those back there. When I first go both of my quads, I rode with them for a few hours. Mud got stuck there and then my foot was slipping off the front all the time. It doesn't allow my foot to rest on the peg in the most comfortable place. I hate them. I would recommend them for mx. I ride and race xc so I am not off the ground a lot. I don't use nerfs either b/c its easier to put my foot down to push the quad back. When I do ride mx I find myself wishing I had nerfs and the heel guard.

culookn
12-20-2004, 03:35 PM
i was never into them but i got a set of ac propegs for my 450r and i think there awesome, ride a quad that has them then get an opnion

PEPwalshZ440
12-20-2004, 05:40 PM
nope...i got JRD propegs...huge peg huge nerfs

Jersey450R
12-20-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by PEPwalshZ440
nope...i got JRD propegs...huge peg huge nerfs
can you or anyone else post a pic of JRD propegs? how much were they?

markk
12-20-2004, 07:51 PM
I dont run them, all they have ever done for me is hold mud!

Leschj03
12-20-2004, 09:37 PM
I didnt like the looks so i took them off and then my foot came of the peg and got stuck betweent the fender and peg and i couldnt get it out, thank god for mx boots, so the next weekend i got nerf bars with heel gaurd built in and love them