PDA

View Full Version : what about mineral spirits?

nosliw
12-19-2004, 12:18 PM
im out of kerosine. but i do have mineral spirits. i was reading through some old threads and a guy mentioned that you can use that to clean your chain if you dont have any kerosine. just wanted to confirm this before i do it.

AtvMxRider
12-19-2004, 12:25 PM
yes

nosliw
12-19-2004, 12:29 PM
thanks

Butters
12-19-2004, 12:30 PM
will that not eat the rubber o-rings??

AtvMxRider
12-19-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Butters
will that not eat the rubber o-rings??

no. Kerosine is alot harsher than Mineral spirits

Butters
12-19-2004, 12:42 PM
ok cool but it will still clean the crap thats on there, right?

AtvMxRider
12-19-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Butters
ok cool but it will still clean the crap thats on there, right?

yes

Butters
12-19-2004, 12:49 PM
cool thanks i will use them next time.

nosliw
12-19-2004, 02:00 PM
another question, i've got my chain off the front and rear sprocket, but it's still on there in place. how do i get it so when i put it on the rear and front sprocket, there isn't more slack on the top part than on the bottom or vice versa? like how do i get it on there right? hope that makes sense. i was starting to get frusterated so now im taking a break :mad:

nosliw
12-19-2004, 02:41 PM
then what about that little washer-lookin-thing that goes on after the front sprocket? the holes dont like up when they are both on the same teeth on the shaft from the transmission...... i can get them to line up when the washer thing is in the middle between the teeth on the shaft, like where there is no teeth just smooth? just i tightened it up that way and there is a lot of play in the sprocket...:(

Aceman
12-19-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by nosliw
another question, i've got my chain off the front and rear sprocket, but it's still on there in place. how do i get it so when i put it on the rear and front sprocket, there isn't more slack on the top part than on the bottom or vice versa? like how do i get it on there right? hope that makes sense. i was starting to get frusterated so now im taking a break :mad:

Take some deep breaths and count to ten.;) It's just a chain, not rocket science. Take your masterlink off to remove the chain. I don't understand your question about more slack on the top and bottom:confused: It doesn't matter if there is more slack on the top or bottom.

then what about that little washer-lookin-thing that goes on after the front sprocket? the holes dont like up when they are both on the same teeth on the shaft from the transmission...... i can get them to line up when the washer thing is in the middle between the teeth on the shaft, like where there is no teeth just smooth? just i tightened it up that way and there is a lot of play in the sprocket...

Put your front sprocket back on, rotate the clip that goes on after the sprocket and put the bolts in. This is what I do with my 300, maybe the 400 is different??

chucked
12-19-2004, 04:12 PM

put it in neutral?

theTman
12-19-2004, 04:15 PM
then what about that little washer-lookin-thing that goes on after the front sprocket? the holes dont like up when they are both on the same teeth on the shaft from the transmission...... i can get them to line up when the washer thing is in the middle between the teeth on the shaft, like where there is no teeth just smooth? just i tightened it up that way and there is a lot of play in the sprocket...:(

its fine...its supposed to be that way

nosliw
12-19-2004, 06:01 PM
lmfao thanks guys :o

putting it in nuetral is what i should have done (still sitting out in the garage, will get to it tomorrow.)